I’ve come to appreciate the planet we live on. It’s a small ball in a large universe. It’s a very fragile ball but also very beautiful. You don’t recognize that until you see it from a little farther off.
Guion “Guy” Bluford Jr.,
combat pilot, astronaut and first African-American in space
Don’t worry about the overall importance of the problem; work on it if it looks interesting. I think there’s a sufficient correlation between interest and importance.
statistician, mathematician and first African-American inducted into the National Academy of Sciences
Greatness occurs when your children love you, when your critics respect you and when you have peace of mind.
musician, record producer and composer
With tireless energy and eager zeal, colored women have, since their emancipation, been continuously prosecuting the work of educating and elevating their race, as though upon themselves alone devolved the accomplishment of this herculean task.
Mary Church Terrell,
civil rights activist and first president of the National Association of Colored Women
[W]hen it comes to justice, there is no easy way to get it. You can’t sugarcoat it. You have to take a stand and say, ‘This is not right.’
civil rights activist
I have made it my mission to talk to anyone who will listen about [colon cancer] screening, prevention and early detection.
journalist, whose first husband died of colon cancer
It was time for the women to have the fun of parading, too. The men have had control too long.
founder of the all-women Iris and Venus krewes of Mardi Gras
If I’m going to sing like someone else, then I don’t need to sing at all.
Honesty helps. You get a long way in life as far as I’m concerned. You tell the truth, ask for help, instead of saying I know what I’m doing.
actress and director
Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning.
journalist, feminist and activist
Trouble is a part of your life, and if you don’t share it, you don’t give the person who loves you a chance to love you enough.
TV personality, singer and 1940s’ top-charting female vocalist
Quotes March 09, 2019
- Filed under Quotes
I’ve come to appreciate the planet we live on. It’s a small ball in a large universe. It’s a very fragile ball but also very beautiful. You don’t recognize that until you see it from a little farther off.
- Alaska Legislature passes budget with $1,000 PFD, no stimulus March 30, 2020The Alaska Legislature passed a budget over the weekend with roughly $5.4 billion in state spending. It includes funding for $1,000 permanent fund dividends, but no stimulus payments.Andrew Kitchenman, Alaska Public Media & KTOO - Juneau
- New study on Arctic warming: Was 2017 a tipping point? March 30, 2020The guests on this Hometown Alaska have all been working on a study of ecosystem changes in the Bering and Chukchi Seas. They are among a multidisciplinary team of academic, government and private sector scientists who recently published a paper documenting dramatic changes in the Pacific Arctic ecosystems due to warmer ocean conditions. You can […]Kathleen McCoy, KSKA - Anchorage
- Recent Research Spreadsheets November 30, 2016Our students have compiled research in three topic areas. Below are the links to their research tables that can be downloaded for searching and viewing. For a state-by-state review of Mandatory Reporter laws, click here. For a state-by-state review of Background Check laws, click...feigleycommunications
- 2016 Legislative Drafting Students November 15, 2016Our students spent the summer working on the inaugural project of the LDICP. Through their extensive research, massive databases of information on state statutes regarding the abuse of children ave been created and will be posted here as their work is finalized. Here are...feigleycommunications
- Wikimedia Commons picture of the day for March 30 March 30, 2020Picture of the day Large white butterfly (Pieris brassicae) resting late in the afternoon on a daffodil (Narcissus) ‘Pimpernel’, in Oxfordshire
- Wikimedia Commons picture of the day for March 29 March 29, 2020Picture of the day Valle Arcoiris ("Rainbow Valley"), Rio Grande near San Pedro de Atacama, northern Chile.
- Day 18: 2020 Pandemic. Trust science. In NYC someone dies every 6 minutes today from COVID-19. March 29, 2020Hard as it is to believe, we are still just in the early stages of the pandemic. The number above has been ticking down. Yesterday it was every 7 minutes. If you think NYC is far away, don’t worry, this will come to your town soon enough. We have a president doling out emergency supplies […]Bob
- Day 17: 2020 Pandemic. The Deniers March 28, 2020My surgery went well, did a follow up with doctor today and he said eye looks good, but I’m out of commission for a while. One eye for weeks and having to spend a lot of time horizontal on my left side. I apologize misspellings or mistakes– working with one eye is difficult. A West […]Bob
- The Entertainment Files (Part 1) Condoms! Condoms! Condoms! March 26, 2020Welcome to a brand new feature on Hugh's Views and News. What's your favourite 'Golden Girls' moment?Continue readingHugh W. Roberts
- Spot The Ball #WordlessWednesday #photography March 25, 2020Can you help Austin find his ball? Continue readingHugh W. Roberts
- Monday Funnies… March 30, 2020
- How to Handle a Stubborn First Draft March 29, 2020Originally posted on Uninspired Writers: Writing isn’t easy. My current work in progress is being really stubborn. By that, I mean it’s taking a long time to write, and constantly filling me with doubt. Recently, however, I’ve started making some progress. So I thought I’d share some of the things I’ve learned that are helping…The Story Reading Ape
- falling all around. March 29, 2020beautiful walk in the rain today discovering a newly made waterfall spring flowers in the mud brilliant green moss growing on the trees in the quiet woods. — “the rain is falling all around, it falls on field and tree, Ii rains on the umbrellas here, and on the ships at sea.” -robert […]beth
- Mashpee Wampanoag face double crisis: COVID-19 and feds March 30, 2020‘I am calling to all of Indian Country, to all tribes: we must unite and stand together … we must fight this fight together’Aliyah Chavez
- Help is on the way? Depends on the type of small business March 29, 2020‘Three weeks ago we were doing great! And now we’re done.’Patty Talahongva
- Kind of a Room Tour (Revival of the Florida and College Decor!) March 29, 2020I don’t do many pictures of my room because it’s fairly dull. Large rack of DVDs, TV on a dresser, nightstand, bed, large bookcase that was never given a coat of finish, hat rack, exercise bike, smaller bookcase, and desk. … Continue reading →Charles Yallowitz
- Smorgasbord Blog Magazine – Easter Parade Blog Party April 11th/12th 2020 – #Flashback Photos, food and music March 29, 2020This Easter most of us will be in isolation from family and friends and I know how tough that can be. However, as planned the Easter Parade will go ahead and I hope that you will join me over the … Continue reading →Smorgasbord - Variety is the Spice of Life.
- Sunday funnies March 29, 2020 bluebird of bitterness
- Sunday musical offering March 29, 2020Through all the world below God is seen all around; Search hills and valleys through, There He’s found. The growing of the corn, The lily and the thorn, The pleasant and forlorn, All declare God is there. In meadows dressed in green, God is seen. See springing waters rise, Fountains flow, rivers run; The mist […]bluebird of bitterness
- Are we having fun yet? March 22, 2020And the fun begins…Week two of social distancing and self-quarantining has begun. What are you cooking in this time of crisis? We eat out a lot. I never realized how much until now. With all the restaurants closed except for drive-throughs or take out, it has fallen on me to provide our meals. The cabinets, […]Elle Knowles
- What an Insect Can Teach Us About Adapting to Stress March 26, 2020In this short animated film, "The Locust Mystery," learn how the gentle harmless grasshopper and the devouring devastating locust are actually the same creature. And how we, also, have many differing "selves" that emerge under various circumstances.
- Connected March 19, 2020Singer songwriter Luke Dick and a talented group of young people connect in this short video to share a message of hope. With youthful enthusiasm the young conductor leads her small group through the song, enabling us to "hear that cosmic spark" of connection. As the drums, guitar, violin, keyboard and voices all combine in […]
- 15 Reminders for Keeping Calm During A Pandemic March 18, 2020Things are tough right now. With coronavirus circling the globe, impacting nearly every citizen on Earth, the world is a weird place right now. We're all facing uncertainties about what the future will hold. We don't know for sure what will happen with our health, the health of our loved ones, our jobs, our communities, […]positively present
- Goose gaps Git gaps Grandma gaps #narrowboat #boating #boatsthattweet March 28, 2020These Canada geese are a pain in the fundament. When I venture off the boat – as I did this … MoreIan Hutson
- My early morning stroll-ette #narrowboat #boating #boatsthattweet March 26, 2020There was a decent frost this morning, although – this being England – the actual daytime today is blue sky … MoreIan Hutson
- Sew a Medical Face Mask March 29, 2020Construction fairly simple. Actually easy to sew one.Image by Juraj Varga from PixabayAny sewers out there?In the Houston area, several people are working with TxRx to sew medical face masks out of tightly woven 100% cotton.If you're in the Houston area, you can sign up with this Google Docs form.Supplies will be delivered to you, […]Joan Reeves
- Stay At Home & Be a Tabletop Gamer March 27, 2020Tabletop gaming is all the rage. No electronics required—only a game and what's between your ears and time, something a lot of us have on our hands.Haven't heard of this? Tabletop games are games that are normally played on a table or other flat surface, such as board games, card games, dice games, miniature wargames, […]Joan Reeves
- The Minstral Show – (Episode 083) February 23, 2020Welcome to the Minstral Show, the podcast that spotlights the very best music from around the world, made exclusively in the 21st century.Eleven great tunes to take you away from an insane world that has truly gone over the edge… I mean, how many spears of greed, oppression, racism, political insanity, fake news, war, censorship […]Stewart
- Lucile Doll Wise, 43-7 | August 2, 2018 August 17, 2018"Jacqueline Cochran was looking for WASP. They told me I would have to be interviewed and they would contact me when they came to the Wichita area. But I didn’t wait for that. I went down to Houston for my interview, to speed things up. And I think that’s one of the smartest things I […]Unknown
- Jean McCreery, 44-W-10. |. May 10, 2018 July 20, 2018"My first flight was with a barnstormer at the age of five. I loved it! I also tried to 'fly' out of the barn loft with an umbrella. This was less than successful..." WASP Jean Terrell McCreery, 44-10 The indomitable Marguerite Jean Terrell Moreo McCreery has "...slipped the surly bonds of Earth. And danced the skies on […]Unknown
- The Old Motor and COVID-19 March 28, 2020Note from the Editor: A sizable number of comments, emails, phone calls and texts have come in from readers, and friends around the world, wondering if The Old Motor will continue in operation during this extraordinary public health crisis. The answer is yes; it will stay in publication six-days a week, unless I become ill...David Greenlees
- Four Fun Friday Kodachrome Car Photographs No. 248 March 27, 2020This two-seater is parked on a county road in the fall of 1961 while the driver and passenger were out enjoying a scenic fall foliage drive. It appears to be wearing an odd shade of green, possibly indicating a repaint. What can the experts tell us about this car and color? As is the usual...David Greenlees
- Earn $6,000/mo Passive Income with Stock Footage (no prior experience!) March 9, 2020Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning I receive a small commission if you decide to make a purchase through our links, but this is at no additional cost to you. Quite the opposite, often these links provide you with a special discount not normally available on the official site. Please read our disclosure […]Gundi Gabrielle
- 337R: Children’s European Story Collection March 29, 2020Hello! I am looking for a storybook collection that I had in the 1980’s. This book had a number of stories in it that seemed European based. I believe the first story was of a little boy whose mother made … Continue reading →Julie Beckers
- March 30, 2020 – NATIONAL DOCTORS DAY – NATIONAL VIRTUAL VACATION DAY – NATIONAL PENCIL DAY – NATIONAL I AM IN CONTROL DAY – NATIONAL TAKE A WALK IN THE PARK DAY – NATIONAL TURKEY NECK SOUP DAY March 30, 2020The post March 30, 2020 – NATIONAL DOCTORS DAY – NATIONAL VIRTUAL VACATION DAY – NATIONAL PENCIL DAY – NATIONAL I AM IN CONTROL DAY – NATIONAL TAKE A WALK IN THE PARK DAY – NATIONAL TURKEY NECK SOUP DAY appeared first on National Day Calendar.Doug Philp
- March 29, 2020 – NATIONAL MOM AND POP BUSINESS OWNERS DAY – NATIONAL VIETNAM WAR VETERANS DAY – NATIONAL LEMON CHIFFON CAKE DAY – NATIONAL NEVADA DAY March 29, 2020The post March 29, 2020 – NATIONAL MOM AND POP BUSINESS OWNERS DAY – NATIONAL VIETNAM WAR VETERANS DAY – NATIONAL LEMON CHIFFON CAKE DAY – NATIONAL NEVADA DAY appeared first on National Day Calendar.Doug Philp
- Midlife Crisis by L.B. Dunbar – Audiobook Review March 27, 2020Midlife Crisis by LB Dunbar Narrated by Teri Schnaubelt and Aaron Shedlock Standalone in a Related Series I can’t tell you how much I want to LOVE LB Dunbar’s over 40 books. As an older single mom with 2 rock star kids, Midlife Crisis by L.B. Dunbar should be the perfect book for me and […]Ana's Attic
- Shady Pretty: 1941 March 30, 2020June 1941. "Residential section. Milwaukee, Wisconsin." Take the "tree" out of Elm Street and you're left with Elm St. Medium format acetate negative by John Vachon. View full size.Dave
- A Quiet Neighborhood: 1952 March 28, 2020November 7, 1952. "New York City views. Old cemetery No. 1, Shearith Israel, Old Bowery or St. James Place." 4x5 inch acetate negative by Gottscho-Schleisner. View full size.Dave
- Car Crash March 25, 2020My Grandpa was driving when some T-bird ran a light. My brother and I were in the back seat and we slammed into the front seats ripping the skin off our knees. Cars didn't have seatbelts back then. My Grandpa almost kicked it but recovered. We were only going about 40 mph. View full size.Zone47
- Car Show March 25, 2020Car show at Chapel Hill Mall in Akron, Ohio, 1977. My friends and I put our cars in this show. Too bad the mall is about to close its doors for good. View full size.Zone47
- Work From Home Ideas To Improve Your Personal Finances March 29, 2020Creating your own business and working from home is a dream that many wish they could achieve. Often, those who work from home are able to choose their own work hours and can structure their day around it. If you are not an early morning person, you can wake up later and work up until […]Heather Smith
- Best Tennis Shoe March 28, 2020Top 10 Tennis Shoes Tennis Shoe Comparison adidas View Nike View ASICS View Nike Air Monarch View New Balance View New Balance MC806 View...Jonathan Maxwell
- Wordless Wednesday #539 February 12, 2020Signs of Spring For more Wordless Wednesday, Click here.suziqoregon
- Looking for a Table for Kids March 29, 2020Question from Miriam Looking for a table for our locked-down kiddos to learn! Does this look ok? not sure what the finish is: https://smile.amazon.com/ECR4Kids-Deluxe-Hardwood-Childrens-Preschool-Rectangle/dp/B0012APKU2/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=1&keywords=kids%2Btable&qid=1585162342&sr=8-21&th=1 One reviewer commented: “Super sturdy, heavy, solidly built table, with extra smooth silky table top (without a trace of any finish odor, which gives us peace-of-mind). ” wanted to add to the […]Lisa Powers
- Prop 65 Warning on Appliances March 29, 2020Question from Tammy I have done extensive research on the Proposition 65 Warning on the Kitchen Aid Range, Dishwasher, Microwave, Refrigerator and Maytag Washer and Dryer we recently purchased for our new home. I see that you’ve looked into this extensively. I have received mostly cut and paste responses. A customer service representative with Whirlpool indicated […]Lisa Powers
- Roasted Carrots February 28, 2020Gotta love carrots. Easy to grow, fun to harvest and very healthy. I mean, look at these two love birds. Just goes to show, you never know what’s happening beneath the surface. And did I mention they’re versatile when it comes to your menu? Last night we enjoyed Roasted Carrots for dinner. Easter we’ll work […]gardenfrisk
- Salad Bistro November 21, 2019My garden is like a salad bistro from November through April. The weather is perfect and nothing says “al fresco” like a Florida winter. In my garden, I grow a variety of lettuce, brassicas, and roots–all perfect for a healthy salad. However, eating salad every day can get boring. Yes, I said it out loud. […]gardenfrisk
- DIY Herbal Cough Drops March 28, 2020Learn how to make your own yummy antiviral herbal cough drops with this easy, customizable recipe using honey, sugar, herbal tea, and peppermint extract! Recently, I made up a batch of this favorite cough drop recipe using beneficial plants and weeds growing around my house, plus a ton of antiviral extras thrown in, including several […]Jan
- laissez-faire March 30, 2020Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day for March 30, 2020 is: laissez-faire \less-ay-FAIR\ noun 1 : a doctrine opposing governmental interference in economic affairs beyond the minimum necessary for the maintenance of peace and property rights 2 : a philosophy or practice characterized by a usually deliberate abstention from direction or interference especially with […]Merriam-Webster
- The Plot Against America introduces more nefarious schemes, and Beef House opens its doors March 30, 2020Here’s what’s happening in the world of television for Monday, March 30. All times are Eastern. Read more...Sulagna Misra on TV Club, shared by Sulagna Misra to The A.V. Club
- Homeland kills off two characters, setting the stage for the series endgame March 30, 2020A process that began last week continues as Homeland heads into its home stretch: Carrie is coming face-to-face with her actions over the course of the series, and she doesn’t like what she sees. Last week’s episode took the airstrike she ordered on a wedding party out of the realm of the abstract when she […]Scott Von Doviak on TV Club, shared by Scott Von Doviak to The A.V. Club
- A new mind behind a familiar face as Westworld hits its stride March 30, 2020Three episodes in, and it’s safe to say that the third season premiere wasn’t a fluke. Westworld has reinvented itself; in leaving the park, it’s streamlined its focus, simplified its approach to narrative, and become far less withholding in terms of thrills. And while I can see being disappointed in this if you were…Read more...Zack Handlen on TV Club, shared by Zack Handlen to The A.V. Club
- The Walking Dead sends everyone to reflect on a post-Alpha world March 30, 2020I swear, characters on this show see more dead people than that little kid from The Sixth Sense. Carol finally got what she’s been lusting for all this time—the death of Alpha—and yet she promptly gets haunted by a vision of the deceased Whisperer leader, taunting her for her inability to protect the people she […]Alex McLevy on TV Club, shared by Alex McLevy to The A.V. Club
- Military medical school to graduate students early to battle COVID-19 March 29, 2020Editor’s note: This article by Patricia Kime originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community For the first time in its 48-year history, the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences will graduate its fourth-year medical school students ...Patricia Kime, Military.com
- Miami VA hospital employees told to reuse one surgical mask per week amid COVID-19 pandemic March 29, 2020Healthcare workers at the Miami VA hospital are being told to reuse one surgical mask for a week at a time starting Monday, guidance issued after a federal report on VA hospital preparedness for the novel coronavirus pandemic found the facility had shortages of personal protective equipment. ...Ben Conarck, Miami Herald
- Easy Pork Carnitas March 28, 2020Juicy, tender pork carnitas made in 30 min, start to finish! No fuss, no hassle. Serve as tacos or burrito bowls. So easy, so so good. We are just about to enter week 3 of our quarantine/stay-at-home order here in Chicago. We’re playing trivia via Zoom, going on all the FaceTimes with friends, and doing […]Chungah @ Damn Delicious
- Sheet Pan Lemon Rosemary Chicken March 23, 2020SHEET PAN DINNER! Crispy, juicy chicken thighs with tender baby potatoes and crisped kale. So hearty, so good, so easy! SHEET PAN CHICKEN DINNERS! Is there anything better? The answer to that is NO. Definitely not. This is a sheet pan dinner with all the good stuff – bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, baby pee wee […]Chungah @ Damn Delicious
- Buttery Seasoned Rice – super economical, super tasty! March 30, 2020Seasoned Rice is a homemade version of the flavoured boxed rices like Rice-A-Roni and Uncle Ben’s! A quick way to add flavour to white rice to make it super tasty, this is a rice side that’s economical, simple to make, and goes with literally everything. Make a big batch and refrigerate 4 days or freeze 3 months.... […]Nagi
- Creamy Pasta Bake “formula” – make with anything! March 27, 2020This is a cosy Creamy Pasta Bake “formula” you can make with what you’ve got! Based around a creamy white sauce that makes anything delicious, you just need butter, flour, milk, stock powder (bouillon) and some kind of cheese – but even these have subs. Everything else is up to you! Use any pasta, long... […]Nagi