I’ve come to appreciate the planet we live on. It’s a small ball in a large universe. It’s a very fragile ball but also very beautiful. You don’t recognize that until you see it from a little farther off.
Guion “Guy” Bluford Jr.,
combat pilot, astronaut and first African-American in space
Don’t worry about the overall importance of the problem; work on it if it looks interesting. I think there’s a sufficient correlation between interest and importance.
statistician, mathematician and first African-American inducted into the National Academy of Sciences
Greatness occurs when your children love you, when your critics respect you and when you have peace of mind.
musician, record producer and composer
With tireless energy and eager zeal, colored women have, since their emancipation, been continuously prosecuting the work of educating and elevating their race, as though upon themselves alone devolved the accomplishment of this herculean task.
Mary Church Terrell,
civil rights activist and first president of the National Association of Colored Women
[W]hen it comes to justice, there is no easy way to get it. You can’t sugarcoat it. You have to take a stand and say, ‘This is not right.’
civil rights activist
I have made it my mission to talk to anyone who will listen about [colon cancer] screening, prevention and early detection.
journalist, whose first husband died of colon cancer
It was time for the women to have the fun of parading, too. The men have had control too long.
founder of the all-women Iris and Venus krewes of Mardi Gras
If I’m going to sing like someone else, then I don’t need to sing at all.
Honesty helps. You get a long way in life as far as I’m concerned. You tell the truth, ask for help, instead of saying I know what I’m doing.
actress and director
Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning.
journalist, feminist and activist
Trouble is a part of your life, and if you don’t share it, you don’t give the person who loves you a chance to love you enough.
TV personality, singer and 1940s’ top-charting female vocalist
Quotes March 09, 2019
- Filed under Quotes
I’ve come to appreciate the planet we live on. It’s a small ball in a large universe. It’s a very fragile ball but also very beautiful. You don’t recognize that until you see it from a little farther off.
- Alaska News Nightly: Friday, Jan. 17, 2020 January 18, 2020The task of counting every person living in the United States begins right here in Alaska. Plus: A school in Hooper Bay becomes another cold weather casualty. And, as mushers, dogs, and volunteers gather in Bethel for the K300 this weekend, vets help keep the dogs in tip-top shape.Mayowa Aina, Alaska Public Media - Anchorage
- Saxman’s main water source freezes, officials urge conservation January 18, 2020City officials in Saxman are asking the community’s 400 residents to limit water use as temperatures remain well below freezing. That’s because the small city’s primary water reservoir froze over Friday amid Alaska’s most significant cold snap since 2012. Saxman city officials say the city’s residents should have plenty of water for everyday needs. “They can […]Eric Stone, KRBD - Ketchikan
- Recent Research Spreadsheets November 30, 2016Our students have compiled research in three topic areas. Below are the links to their research tables that can be downloaded for searching and viewing. For a state-by-state review of Mandatory Reporter laws, click here. For a state-by-state review of Background Check laws, click...feigleycommunications
- 2016 Legislative Drafting Students November 15, 2016Our students spent the summer working on the inaugural project of the LDICP. Through their extensive research, massive databases of information on state statutes regarding the abuse of children ave been created and will be posted here as their work is finalized. Here are...feigleycommunications
- Wikimedia Commons picture of the day for January 19 January 19, 2020Picture of the day Remains of the casle of Montuenga, a fortification of the 11th century located in Montuenga de Soria, Province of Soria, Spain.
- Wikimedia Commons picture of the day for January 18 January 18, 2020Picture of the day Pyrite (Fool's Gold)
- Today in 1985, the Coen Brothers debuted with Blood Simple January 18, 2020Any film with M. Emmett Walsh is to be watched. Throw in Frances McDormand? Even better.Bob
- When an artist gets discouraged remember this . . . January 14, 2020There was a young girl who wanted to be a violinist. She practiced hard for many years. Finally, when she was a teenager, her hero, a famous violinist, a master, whom she modeled herself after, was coming to town for a concert. The young girl attended the concert and was able to meet the master […]Bob
- A Safe Place For Keeping #flashfiction January 18, 2020How sure are you that your blog and data is as safe and secure as you think it is? Continue readingHugh's Views and News
- Street Party #WordlessWednesday #photography January 15, 2020Can you guess the occasion? Continue readingHugh's Views and News
- Three Things to Remember When Revising from a Critique – by Janice Hardy… January 19, 2020on Fiction University: Revising from critique feedback can improve a manuscript—if you remember a few important details. Continue reading HEREThe Story Reading Ape
- Happy [cheery, merry, joyful, jocular, gleeful] birthday, Peter January 18, 2020Originally posted on bluebird of bitterness: A little bibliophile humor today in honor of the birthday of Peter Mark Roget (1779-1869), author of Roget’s Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases Classified and Arranged so as to Facilitate the Expression of Ideas and Assist in Literary Composition.The Story Reading Ape
- treasure house. January 18, 2020in 1852 Roget published his thesaurus, a word that means ‘treasure house’ in greek. JANUARY 18: NATIONAL THESAURUS DAY British lexicographer Peter Mark Roget—who is most famous for publishing The Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases (a.k.a. Roget’s Thesaurus) in 1852—was born on January 18, 1779. As such, this is a day to honor, celebrate, […]beth
- Prayers and songs for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women January 18, 2020Thousands gather for Women's March rallies across the USIndian Country Today
- Brink of extinction; trying to save koalas, kangaroos and wallabies January 18, 2020Scientists seek rare species survivors amid Australia flamesThe Associated Press
- Goal Post: Yeah . . . Everything is Blurry January 18, 2020This is a week that felt like every day lasted a month and all of the events have become fairly blurry. I remember looking into Masters programs and realizing that I need to take the GRE first. Signed up for … Continue reading →Charles Yallowitz
- Smorgasbord Short Stories – What’s in a Name – Grace – The Gift by Sally Cronin January 19, 2020There are names that have been passed down through thousands of years which have powerful and deep-rooted meaning to their bearers. Other names have been adopted from other languages, cultures and from the big screen. They all have one thing … Continue reading →Smorgasbord - Variety is the Spice of Life.
- Caturday funnies January 18, 2020 bluebird of bitterness
- Happy [cheery, merry, joyful, jocular, gleeful] birthday, Peter January 18, 2020A little bibliophile humor today in honor of the birthday of Peter Mark Roget (1779-1869), author of Roget’s Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases Classified and Arranged so as to Facilitate the Expression of Ideas and Assist in Literary Composition.bluebird of bitterness
- New Years Day ain’t New Years Day without the black-eyed peas… January 1, 2020I’ve often heard that whatever you do on New Years Day you will be doing for the rest of the year. If that’s the case I’m going to be worthless! Except for the fact that I did cook – and cooking is not what I want to be doing all year. Of course we had […]Elle Knowles
- Serotiny: The Story of Lead to Life January 16, 2020Serotiny refers to the process of seeds using the destructive power of fire to trigger the germination of new growth. On the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination, the organization Lead to Life gathered in Atlanta to honor the life of gun victims by putting weapons of killing through fire to forge shovels; […]
- Finding Chika January 9, 2020Renowned author Mitch Albom introduces us to a story of love, a story about the making of a family through love. He shows us that the rules of what a family should look like don't matter as long as there is love bringing them together. He introduces us to Chika, who became the much beloved […]
- 9 Tips for Battling the Winter Blues December 23, 2019As winter arrives, I'm taken back in my mind to last year... Last winter, I was really down and out at the start of 2019. I spent so much time in bed, engaging in unhealthy coping methods, and generally just feeling rotten about myself and my life. While I don't know for sure if this […]positively present
- Mud, mud, Gloria’s mud, there’s nothing quite like it for chewing the cud #narrowboat #boating #England January 18, 2020Soggy is a word wholly inadequate for describing the towpaths hereabouts at present. Mud-wallows is a phrase more fitted to … MoreIan Hutson
- Requiescat in pace… Are “burials in t’canal” becoming popular? #narrowboat #boating #boatsthattweet January 16, 2020‘In nomine patris et filii et spiritus sancti, oy vey, Toothpick-Charlie, you squealed once too often and da boss can’t … MoreIan Hutson
- Puppy Sitting Takes a Toll January 19, 2020All of my good intentions about blogging went out the window when my daughter's puppy entered the house.Yes, Darling Hubby and I are once again puppy sitting. This stint started Friday morning and continues until Sunday afternoon.Freddie is a golden doodle which is half golden retriever and half poodle. Fortunately, his hair is just like […]Joan Reeves
- 6 Ways to Create Compelling Blogs January 17, 2020The goal of a blogger is to create compelling content that educates and entertains.Bloggers want to keep readers coming back for more—especially if the blogger works hard at creating captivating blog posts.6 Ways To Create Compelling Blogs1. Write with a compelling voice that makes the reader feel as if they're having a great conversation with […]Joan Reeves
- The Minstral Show – (Episode 081) January 12, 2020Welcome to the Minstral Show, the podcast that spotlights the very best music from around the world, made exclusively in the 21st century.A new decade begins as Jan 2020 unfolds to reveal the next chapter of music…part of which, will be heard here today through new songs by Glass Eye, The Room in the Wood, […]Stewart
- Lucile Doll Wise, 43-7 | August 2, 2018 August 17, 2018"Jacqueline Cochran was looking for WASP. They told me I would have to be interviewed and they would contact me when they came to the Wichita area. But I didn’t wait for that. I went down to Houston for my interview, to speed things up. And I think that’s one of the smartest things I […]Unknown
- Jean McCreery, 44-W-10. |. May 10, 2018 July 20, 2018"My first flight was with a barnstormer at the age of five. I loved it! I also tried to 'fly' out of the barn loft with an umbrella. This was less than successful..." WASP Jean Terrell McCreery, 44-10 The indomitable Marguerite Jean Terrell Moreo McCreery has "...slipped the surly bonds of Earth. And danced the skies on […]Unknown
- “This is Estes’ Ville Used Cars Discount Center” January 18, 2020Herb Estes operated a successful Ford dealership on East Huron St. in Ann Arbor, MI, that we will cover later; this is “Estes’ Ville,” his used car lot located at 3145 Washtenaw Ave. The photo dates to June of 1964 and three Fords, a Falcon, a two-door hardtop and a convertible are front and center...David Greenlees
- Kodachrome Images of Minneapolis Salvage Yards January 17, 2020The City of Minneapolis began documenting salvage yards by photographing them in the 1967 to the mid-’70s period. This was about the same time as the EPA started operations to clean up environmental pollution in the industry. The lead image is a view of the sign, fence, and yard at Nate’s Auto Parts located at 1032...David Greenlees
- The Amazing CAPE PENINSULA – Breathtaking Scenic Ocean Drives, Penguins & the Cape of Good Hope April 3, 2019********* The Cape Peninsula and Western Cape region are absolutely breathtaking! I especially love the turquoise waters that are so typical for the Cape scenery. You can instantly recognize this region just by that color – that’s how special it is! A Road Trip Around the Cape Peninsula One of the most fun things to do […]Gundi Gabrielle
- Leaving Town For A Week January 18, 2020Hello Everybody, I will be attending a conference for work in Baltimore over the course of next week, so I will not be replying to any e-mails or making posts/posting comments on this page until January 28th. Please have patience … Continue reading →admin
- January 19, 2020 – NATIONAL POPCORN DAY – WORLD QUARK DAY January 19, 2020The post January 19, 2020 – NATIONAL POPCORN DAY – WORLD QUARK DAY appeared first on National Day Calendar.Doug Philp
- January 18, 2020 – NATIONAL USE YOUR GIFT CARD DAY – NATIONAL WINNIE THE POOH DAY – NATIONAL THESAURUS DAY – NATIONAL MICHIGAN DAY – NATIONAL PEKING DUCK DAY January 18, 2020The post January 18, 2020 – NATIONAL USE YOUR GIFT CARD DAY – NATIONAL WINNIE THE POOH DAY – NATIONAL THESAURUS DAY – NATIONAL MICHIGAN DAY – NATIONAL PEKING DUCK DAY appeared first on National Day Calendar.Doug Philp
- The AI Who Loved Me by Alyssa Cole – Audiobook Review January 17, 2020The A.I. Who Loved Me by Alyssa Cole Narrated by Regina Hall, Mindy Kaling and a full cast of 8 Narrators SciFi Futuristic Romance I loved the cover of this audio-first (or only) release with star narrators, and thought The A.I. Who Loved Me by Alyssa Cole looked unique and fun. I listened to another […]Ana's Attic
- Man of Letter: 1904 January 17, 20201904. Washington, D.C. "H.D. Watts, 6th Street." Proud alumnus of Maryland Agricultural College. 5x7 inch glass negative from the C.M. Bell portrait studio. View full size.Dave
- Miss Watts: 1902 January 17, 2020"Watts, Miss -- between February 1901 and December 1903." Portrait of a well-rounded ingenue. 5x7 glass negative from the C.M. Bell studio in Washington, D.C. View full size.Dave
- Margaret Truman and Annette Wright May: 1951 January 15, 2020The president's daughter with friend Annette Wright aboard the SS America, on the way to Europe. I was fortunate enough to know Ms. Annette Davis Frank, through a family friendship with her daughter. I found this photo in a portfolio that was given to me by her family after she passed away in 2014. She […]Cazzorla
- My Tractor: 1957 January 15, 2020Picture taken June, 1957 in Maryville TN. Picture of me, Robbie Roberson. I was about 3 years old.Revolverman
- More Miss Watts January 19, 2020In reply to Miss Watts: 1902: Miss Watts and Mrs. Fred Schrader (the former Marie Bailey).Dave
- "It's a pity" January 18, 2020In reply to Miss Watts: 1902: Seeing this young woman and thinking "it's a pity she didn't live in the age of rhinoplasty" is like seeing a different photo here of an Edwardian home and thinking it's a pity it wasn't built in the era of vinyl siding. She looks lovely, and having a nose […]CGreyHawkins
- How To Buy Discounted Microsoft Products January 17, 2020If you perform a lot of computer tasks, a Microsoft product can be your best friend. Microsoft products like the Microsoft office have functionalities that allow you to become more productive. Unfortunately, these products don’t come cheap. They can be expensive, even for professionals. However, no matter how you try to avoid getting Microsoft Office […]Heather Smith
- Best Poker Table January 18, 2020Top 10 Poker Table Poker Table Comparison HomCom View Giantex View Giantex 48 View Trademark View Fat Cat View Trademark Deluxe View Firstand View...Jonathan Maxwell
- Wordless Wednesday #535 January 15, 2020Squirrel!! For more Wordless Wednesday, Click here.suziqoregon
- PVC-Free Adhesive Cord Cover January 18, 2020Question from Melissa I’m having trouble finding PVC-free adhesive cord covers to cover my long ethernet cables in the house. Optimally they are like these ones, but PVC-free: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KFP5SJ8/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AIVUHJ2NABNJF&psc=1 Lisa’s Answer All of the plastic covers that I found were PVC. Would you consider a fabric cover? It would be safer to avoid the […]Lisa Powers
- Old Tupperware January 18, 2020Question from Theresa I have pieces of Tupperware that are now 30 years old in my kitchen. I’d like to make use of it, but am wary of old plastics. Is there any health threat from it? What about 20-year-old Rubbermaid storage containers? Lisa’s Answer BPA has been used in plastic since the 1940’s. […]Lisa Powers
- Salad Bistro November 21, 2019My garden is like a salad bistro from November through April. The weather is perfect and nothing says “al fresco” like a Florida winter. In my garden, I grow a variety of lettuce, brassicas, and roots–all perfect for a healthy salad. However, eating salad every day can get boring. Yes, I said it out loud. […]gardenfrisk
- Rust and Beans November 4, 2019Rust is a fungal disease that commonly occurs in Florida where it’s warm and humid. Most beans are susceptible to Rust. The disease generally occurs only during prolonged periods of warm, wet and/or humid weather. Rust refers to a variety of fungus, exists in at least 35 pathotypes and is extremely variable. Symptoms develop on leaves […]gardenfrisk
- Honey & Lemon Sore Throat Candy Drops December 11, 2019These yummy herbal candy drops are made with lemon and honey to help soothe sore throats and coughs. A common home remedy for soothing sore throats is lemon juice mixed with honey; however, that isn’t always easy to swallow, especially if you’re a kid. That’s where these tasty little sore throat candy drops come in. […]Jan @ The Nerdy Farm Wife
- intercalate January 19, 2020Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day for January 19, 2020 is: intercalate \in-TER-kuh-layt\ verb 1 : to insert (something, such as a day) in a calendar 2 : to insert between or among existing elements or layers Examples: "The fossiliferous deposits … consist of pale pinkish-orange brown clays, brownish grey siltstones and shale, and […]Merriam-Webster
- Take that, Quibi: Julia Louis-Dreyfus signs development deal with Apple TV+ January 18, 2020In what we can only imagine is terrible news for the people over at Quibi—i.e., the other internet content provider that seems bound and determined to scoop up all your favorite folks, no matter the cost—Variety reports this weekend that Julia Louis-Dreyfus has signed an overall deal to develop new projects at Apple…Read more...William Hughes on News, shared by William Hughes to The A.V. Club
- Lifetime greenlights Surviving Jeffrey Epstein and a Lorena Bobbit biopic January 18, 2020Today in “Objectively awful things that somehow got transformed into comedy memes” news: Lifetime has announced a slate of new projects for its 2020 calendar today, including its latest Surviving limited series—this one centered on living convicted sex offender-turned-dead conspiracy theory fodder Jeffrey Epstein—and…Read more...William Hughes on News, shared by William Hughes to The A.V. Club
- R.I.P. Christopher Tolkien, editor and steward of Middle-Earth January 18, 2020Christopher Tolkien has died. As both the literary executor, and the posthumous editor, of the works of his father, fantasy author J.R.R. Tolkien, Tolkien spent much of his life as the public face, steward, and occasional fierce protector of the fantasy realm of Middle-Earth. Over the course of his career, he was…Read more...William Hughes on News, shared by William Hughes to The A.V. Club
- Here's Sam Elliott reciting the lyrics of "Old Town Road" for Doritos, against humanity January 18, 2020Few elements of modern television production strive harder to emulate the fast-moving, nausea-inducing, Tetsuo-from-the-end-of-Akira-level pace of viral internet content more closely than the annual Super Bowl ad, the proverbial Big Game of “Hey, look at me for 20 seconds!” attention-seeking behavior. We are, of…Read more...William Hughes on News, shared by William Hughes to The A.V. Club
- The Space Force has a name tape now January 18, 2020The U.S. Space Force has a name tape for uniforms now. Get excited people.In a tweet from its official account, the Space Force said its uniform name tapes have "touched down in the Pentagon," sharing a photo of it on the chest of Gen. John W. Raymond, the newly-minted Chief of Space Operations for the […]Paul Szoldra
- Trump gives dramatic account of Soleimani's last moments January 18, 2020PALM BEACH, Fla. (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump gave a minute-to-minute account of the U.S. drone strikes that killed Iranian military commander Qassem Soleimani in remarks to a Republican fund-raising dinner on Friday night, according to audio obtained by CNN.With his typical dramatic flourish, Trump recounted the scene as he monitored the strikes from […]Reuters Staff
- Meal Prep Chicken – 3 Ways January 15, 2020How to meal prep chicken for the entire week! Salsa verde, lemon pepper + orange chicken marinades included. SO GOOD, SO EASY! Hello to the best kind of chicken meal prep for the entire week! One recipe. Three marinades. Three epic marinades – salsa verde, lemon pepper and orange chicken. You’ll need 1.5 pounds of […]Chungah @ Damn Delicious
- Quick Chicken Taquitos January 11, 2020Such a great way to use up leftover rotisserie chicken! So easy, crispy and crunchy! Serve with guac, pico de gallo and sour cream! I was really torn whether to classify this as an appetizer or entree. I could (and I have) eaten most of the platter, alone, so that made it my dinner. But […]Chungah @ Damn Delicious
- Vietnamese Pho recipe January 19, 2020Experience the magic of one of the greatest soups in the world with this easy to follow traditional Vietnamese Pho recipe! With the signature broth that’s light yet at the same time so full of flavour, it’s infused with spices like cinnamon, star anise and cardamom. Utterly addictive and every spoonful leaves you wanting more!... […]Nagi
- Pot Roast January 18, 2020Pot Roast – fall apart beef, tender flavour infused vegetables and potatoes smothered in a rich gravy. It’s mouthwateringly good, yet simple to make, especially if you use a slow cooker. However, this beef pot roast recipe can be made in an instant pot, oven OR crockpot – pick which method works best for you!... […]Nagi