Tag: The Old Motor

The Old Motor ->  Streamline Test Car: The McQuay-Norris Tear Droppers

McQuay-Norris was a manufacturer of high-quality aftermarket engine and chassis and chassis parts located in St. Louis, Missouri. In 1932 the Company had a series of six “Tear Drop” Test Cars built on either Model “A” Ford or 1932 Ford chassis’ by the Hill Auto Body Metal Co. of Cincinnati, Ohio.

The attention-getting-egg-shaped McQuay-Norris tear droppers purpose was two-fold; for on the road testing by its Test Engineers of the Companies products, and the promotion of these auto parts around the country by the new hires.

The Old Motor: Read complete article -> Streamline Test Car: The McQuay-Norris Tear Droppers

The Old Motor: The Fageol 1950 TC CargoLiner – A Trailer Without A Tractor

William B. Fageol and his brother Frank R. began the Fageol Motors Company in 1916 at a location in Oakland, California. The first vehicle built was the sensational 1917 130 h.p. Fageol Supercar that was an unfortunate causality of World War I. Postwar the Company focused on the impressive Fageol Safety Coach and a line of Fageol trucks.

Read more -> The Old Motor: The Fageol 1950 TC CargoLiner – A Trailer Without A Tractor

The Old Motor -> Workers on the Rambler Assembly Line: Kenosha Wisconsin

Workers on the Rambler Assembly Line: Kenosha Wisconsin

February 12, 2018
Today’s circa 1958-’60 human interest photos are from a set taken of workers on the full-sized Rambler assembly line located at the American Motors plant in Kenosha, Wisconsin. Toiling away on one of these lines, depending on the job is both hard, tedious and mind-numbing to do day in, day out while standing on hard concrete floors. During the summer months factory workers also have to endure mid-western heat waves accompanied by high humidity.

The lead image contains a woman and a man sitting on stools assembling parts in the headlight area while a second woman standing in the middle is performing a separate task. Four enlargeable photos below show a man spot welding panels of the body together in a rear wheel well, and others working on subassemblies and different parts of the cars.

Tell us what you find of interest in this series of photographs courtesy of the University of Wisconsin Libraries.

Read more ->

An entertaining & informative vintage automobile internet magazine.


The Old Motor Newsletter

The Old Motor: George Stant Machine Works – Home of the Stant Radiator Cap

George Stant Machine Works – Home of the Stant Radiator Cap

George Stant of Connersville, Indiana began, his business by repairing bicycles in 1898, followed by the founding of The George Stant Machine Works. Early activities included blacksmithing, a brass foundry, developing and making machinery to produce piano tuning pins. Stant invented and patented an axle setter in 1904 for straightening rear axle shafts and a transmission for the rolls on a player piano in 1916.

Later in the twenties, the Company began manufacturing aftermarket automotive parts including a radiator cap to help prevent the theft of Motometers. Stant soon began producing the accessory “Quail” radiator cap for the Model “A” Ford and radiator mascot caps for other Automakers. In the early-1930s George’s son Kyle Stant invented and patented a locking gas cap, and at that time the Company was also manufacturing and supplying a number of different parts for automobile manufacturers.

More…

The Old Motor – An entertaining & informative vintage automobile internet magazine.

Meet Stanley the Cat: A New Four-Legged Staff Addition at The Old Motor | The Old Motor

Our client,a pilot for Spirit Airways (he once described it as “the airline for people who can’t afford to take the bus”)

Meet Stanley the Cat: A New Four-Legged Staff Addition at The Old Motor | The Old Motor