Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing.
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
Diversity may be the hardest thing for a society to live with, and perhaps the most dangerous thing for a society to be without.
William Sloane Coffin Jr.
The power of finding beauty in the humblest things makes home happy and life lovely.
Louisa May Alcott
No problem can be solved by the same kind of thinking that created it.
What comes, when it comes, will be what it is.
Let us not look back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around in awareness.
Nobody can defeat you when you all are working together.
We must recognize that our crises emerge from clinging too tightly to a single story.
I’m always pulling away from the rational. I think that maybe the unfathomable is the magnet in the world that, if we allow ourselves, we are drawn to.
Life is like carrying a message from the child you were to the old man you’ll become, without losing it along the way.
It will never rain roses: when we want to have more roses, we must plant more roses.
If all the beasts were gone, men would die from a great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to the man. All things are connected.
The first duty of love is to listen.
If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is — infinite.
Books are a uniquely portable magic.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts.
At the deepest level, the creative process and the healing process arise from a single source. When you are an artist, you are a healer.
Rachel Naomi Remen
Healing begins by embracing the state of not knowing in the spaciousness of the mind so that in the darkness a flicker of light can be seen.
The question is not how to get cured, but how to live.
If you carry joy in your heart, you can heal any moment.
Quotes April 14, 2019
- Filed under Quotes
Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing.
- stephen hawking on artificial intelligence -- 6/26/19 June 26, 2019Today's selection -- from Brief Answers to the Big Questions by Stephen Hawking. Stephen Hawking on artificial intelligence: "I think there is no significant difference between how the brain of an earthworm works and how a computer computes. I also believe that evolution implies there can be no qualitative difference between the brain of an earthworm and that of […]
- the desolation of khartoum -- 6/25/19 June 25, 2019Today's selection -- from Baghdad Without a Map by Tony Horwitz. A history of modern Khartoum: "It had long been the white man's burden to keep Sudan's 'fuzzy-wuzzies' in abject submission [to use the perjoratives of imperial Britain]. The history of Khartoum [Sudan's capital] was nasty and short. Before 1820, the windswept plain at the confluence of the Blue and […]
- When Empathy Ruled: Candy Bombers June 26, 2019Beginning today in 1948, the Berlin Airlift is a unique moment in history. When victors went to extraordinary lengths to extend a lifeline to a conquered people who were part of a regime that had committed the greatest atrocities in modern history. I know there were geopolitical maneuverings driving the Berlin Airlift, but it was […]Bob
- New York Minute Publication Day and a free book June 24, 2019Live today on all eBook platforms, in print and audiobook, New York Minute, introducing my newest and most intriguing character, Will Kane. While it’s technically book 10 in the Green Beret series, it stands on its own as a precursor to that series and is set in 1977. Kane is a West Point grad, Special […]Bob
- Thank You, And Goodbye For Now June 20, 2019Time has told me that now is the perfect opportunity for a blogging break. It’s not something I often do but is something I highlyContinue readingHugh's Views and News
- Front Page Splash #flashfiction June 12, 2019What would you do if you found yourself on the front pages of every newspaper for the wrong reason? Continue readingHugh's Views and News
- Two Punctuation Blunders that Puzzle Readers and Irk Editors – by Kathy Steinemann… June 27, 2019on Anne R. Allen: Are you guilty of these punctuation mistakes that confuse readers and drive editors batty? Someone told me recently that about 90% of writers need the information in this post (no names mentioned, but she runs a popular writers’ blog, the one with the green-on-green color scheme). Are you one of the […]The Story Reading Ape
- 34 Fabulous Writing Conferences in July 2019 – by Erica Verrillo… June 26, 2019on Publishing and Other Forms of Insanity: Summer is in full swing, and so are writing conferences. This July there are conferences, intensive workshops, retreats and book fairs from coast to coast. You will also have a chance to pitch your work to agents, meet editors, and get to know your fellow writers. Conferences provide […]The Story Reading Ape
- grandma or google. June 26, 2019when driving with grandie f he asked me what a ‘party line’ was. he said it was mentioned in an article he was reading and it advised him to ‘ask a grandma or google’ if he needed an explanation. I think that was a brilliant suggestion they understood that between the two sources we have […]ksbeth
- The Experimental Hero: Brought to You By Science June 26, 2019I’ve touched on a lot of different heroes over the years, so I’m surprised I never thought about this one before. I mean, they’ve slipped into a few categories at times, but I never really locked onto the ‘experiment’ origin. … Continue reading →Charles Yallowitz
- Smorgasbord Blog Magazine – Posts from Your Archives – #PotLuck – #Recipe – Bishop’s Cake – Lorinda J. Taylor June 26, 2019Welcome to the series Posts from Your Archives, where bloggers put their trust in me. In this series, I dive into a blogger’s archives and select four posts to share here to my audience. If you would like to know … Continue reading →Smorgasbord - Variety is the Spice of Life.
- Wednesday weirdness June 26, 2019 bluebird of bitterness
- Hot cross puns June 25, 2019Some Franciscans were behind on their belfry payments, so they opened a flower shop to raise money. But a rival florist across town resented the competition, and he hired Hugh MacTaggart, the most notorious thug in town, to persuade the friars to close. Hugh threatened the friars and trashed their shop, warning that he’d be […]bluebird of bitterness
- Jumping Hurdles June 26, 2019I’ve had a very busy month of June. Andrew move to South Carolina to start working on his DMA and I’m feeling like an empty-nester. I guess it’s about time since he graduated from high school and went off to college in 2011. This feels different though. He’s much farther away. My first-ever V E […]Elle Knowles
- 6 Ways to Shake Things Up June 24, 2019For months and months, it felt like a dark cloud was hanging over my head. I don't know if it was seasonal depression or regular depression or just part of my biological mental ups and downs, but, man, was it rough. I didn't feel like doing anything, and I didn't feel like I'd ever get […]positively present
- I have moved my liddle tank a smidge just to get out of ze mahrina, René, and I now have a nice new MiFi router #narrowboat #boating June 25, 2019Well there’s lovely for you, yes indeed, Myffanwy. Gosh I do get around. Returned on Friday from my tour of … MoreIan Hutson
- A brilliant (and rare) few days away – spoiled at the last by bureaucracy #narrowboat #boating June 21, 2019Hello pop-pickers – um – blog-splatters… Apologies for having been quiet for a few days, I/my-rellies finally managed to synchronise … MoreIan Hutson
- Kiss Me, Thrill Me June 26, 2019KISS ME, THRILL ME is still thrilling readers.Published 2 years ago, this collection of 6 full-length romance novels by New York Times and USA Today bestselling authors is still going strong and is at your Amazon Kindle shop for only $3.99.Authors and Titles Here is the lineup for the 6 books in KISS ME, THRILL […]Joan Reeves
- My Mortal Enemies List June 25, 2019Inspired by Sheldon Cooper of The Big Bang Theory, I decided at 1:38am this morning to start my own Mortal Enemies List.Now, you may be wondering what caused this epiphany?I had spent more than an hour trying to navigate the newly updated version of a website I frequently use.Then another hour trying to revert it […]Joan Reeves
- The Amazing CAPE PENINSULA – Breathtaking Scenic Ocean Drives, Penguins & the Cape of Good Hope April 3, 2019********* The Cape Peninsula and Western Cape region are absolutely breathtaking! I especially love the turquoise waters that are so typical for the Cape scenery. You can instantly recognize this region just by that color – that’s how special it is! A Road Trip Around the Cape Peninsula One of the most fun things to do […]Gundi Gabrielle
- Lucile Doll Wise, 43-7 | August 2, 2018 August 17, 2018"Jacqueline Cochran was looking for WASP. They told me I would have to be interviewed and they would contact me when they came to the Wichita area. But I didn’t wait for that. I went down to Houston for my interview, to speed things up. And I think that’s one of the smartest things I […]Unknown
- Jean McCreery, 44-W-10. |. May 10, 2018 July 20, 2018"My first flight was with a barnstormer at the age of five. I loved it! I also tried to 'fly' out of the barn loft with an umbrella. This was less than successful..." WASP Jean Terrell McCreery, 44-10 The indomitable Marguerite Jean Terrell Moreo McCreery has "...slipped the surly bonds of Earth. And danced the skies on […]Unknown
- The Minstral Show – (Episode 073) June 4, 2019Welcome to the Minstral Show, the podcast that spotlights the very best music from around the world, made exclusively in the 21st century.On today’s spotlight we have 11 great tunes in a variety of genres, from retro pop to progressive rock and everything in between. A showcase that is very much like a time machine […]Stewart
- 328S: World Without Color Becomes Colorful June 26, 2019I am looking for a book I read to my children sometime between 1981-1985. It is about a world without color that then became colorful. There was a line “the brown earth” and maybe gray earth was mentioned – that … Continue reading →admin
- Exclusive Cover Reveal – Halton by Melanie Moreland June 20, 2019Halton – Vested Interest #6 by Melanie Moreland Surprise! We have a new standalone spin-off of Melanie Moreland’s hot Vested Interest Series! Coming June 27th to Apple, Nook and Kobo, then going to KU on June 30th. Preorder on Amazon When love turns to hate—that’s where I come in. I’m Halton Andrew Smithers, attorney. Hal […]Ana's Attic
- I am (Older) Woman. Hear me roar! June 26, 2019What do Nancy Pelosi, Donna Shalala and Maxine Waters have in common? Clearly, they are all women. If you guessed that they are older women, you’re right. But how old? In their fifties, sixties? Try in their 70’s and you’d be right. We all know Nancy Pelosi is 78. Not to be outdone, Representative Donna […]Taylor Lee
- 10 Great Romance Movies by Joan Reeves #mgtab June 25, 2019Although I love making video trailers, I don’t fancy myself to be a movie maker by any means, but perhaps my love of movies inspires by video book trailers. Recently, I bought a copy of one of my favorite romance movies of all time, The Love Letter starring Campbell Scott and Jennifer Jason Leigh. Many […]Joan Reeves
- $20 Amazon Gift Card Giveaway October 4, 2015We are excited to give away an Amazon Gift Card worth $20 to one of our lucky visitors. We will be doing many more of these in the future. This is the first one we have done in a while. To enter, please follow the instructions on the giveaway app below. Good luck! a Rafflecopter […]Murphy
- See It First: Scott Michael Decker, Taylor Kole, and C.C. Brower June 26, 2019We love introducing Prolific Works readers to great stories and big ideas. Take a chance on new authors and try great stories from old favorites. See it first every day with Prolific Works and be free to discover authors you’ll love. We’re thrilled to share the latest and greatest from our science fiction genres! Sci-Fi […]Dalia Sadaka
- Policeman's Ball: 1942 June 25, 2019February 1942. "Weslaco, Texas. Saturday afternoon baseball game at Mercer G. Evans FSA camp." Photo by Arthur Rothstein for the Farm Security Administration. View full size.Dave
- Ten Tips to Improve Your Kitchen June 26, 2019Why is your kitchen so important? The kitchen if you haven’t noticed already is by far one of the most critical rooms in your house. Not only is it the place where you cook and prepare your meals, but it is also one of the most common communal areas where friends and family gather to […]Hilary Smith
- Best Car Backup Camera June 22, 2019Top 10 Car Backup Cameras Car Backup Camera Buying Guide What is a backup camera and what does it do? A car backup camera...Jonathan Maxwell
- Wordless Wednesday #507 June 26, 2019Cape Kiwanda and Haystack Rock Pacific City, Oregon For more Wordless Wednesday, Click here.suziqoregon
- Handbag Materials June 25, 2019Question from Wendy Lisa, Can you tell me if it’s toxic to carry handbags made of these materials? I know I may need to find out more details about the chemicals but this is what I have so far. Handbag 1: Dyed Nylon with Water and Stain Resistant Coating Dyed Italian Leather Nylon Strap Handbag […]Lisa Powers
- Removing Odors from Insulation June 24, 2019Question from Colleen Hi Lisa, Has anyone successfully moved into a house where the previous tenants used scented detergents and dryer sheets in the house. I was under the assumption that the fragrances got into the insulation in the walls, etc. How long did it take to outgass if ever? Would a “bake out” even […]Lisa Powers
- Eggplant Breakfast Sandwich June 26, 2019Summer in Florida is a great time to grow eggplant. Actually, most every month in Central Florida is a good time. Except for a few freezing spells, eggplant loves our climate. And I love eggplant! But at times I grow tired of eating sautéed eggplant and prefer to mix it up a bit. I like […]gardenfrisk
- Wasp Nest on Brussel Sprouts June 18, 2019So a weird thing happened as I was harvesting my Brussel sprouts this spring. Pulling the stalk from the soil, I noticed a wasp flying around me. I jumped, startled but alert. Wasps can be beneficial in the home garden as they are predatory in nature and prey on some bad bugs that attack our […]gardenfrisk
- Rose Infused Witch Hazel May 10, 2019Soothing roses and anti-inflammatory witch hazel combine in this beautiful rose infused witch hazel – perfect to use as a facial toner, for bug bites, acne, sunburn, varicose veins & more! My roses are in full bloom this week and I’ve been busily preserving them in all sorts of ways! I first made this lovely […]Jan @ The Nerdy Farm Wife
- Vegetable Spring Rolls with Peanut Sauce June 26, 2019Simple, healthy and fresh with the creamiest peanut sauce ever. Prep ahead of time and use up lingering veggies! I couldn’t stop eating these for days. I guess that isn’t the worst thing in the world, right? With all the greens, carrots, cabbage, bell pepper, cucumber and avocado, I think I’d be okay eating this […]Chungah @ Damn Delicious
- 2019 March Food Holidays March 13, 2019Celebrate March Food Holidays National Fresh Celery Month National Noodle Month National Flour Month National Frozen Food Month National Nutrition Month National Peanut Month National Hot Cross Bun Day (Good Friday) National Sauce Month National Caffeine Awareness Month Daily Holidays March 1 National Peanut Butter Lover’s Day – March 2 National Banana Cream Pie Day – […]John-Bryan Hopkins
- Marinated BBQ Vegetables June 26, 2019BBQ Vegetables like you’ve never had before! Tender crisp with charred edges, tossed in a Herb & Garlic Lemon Marinade while hot so they absorb the flavour, these grilled vegetables taste like homemade antipasto! Marinated BBQ Vegetables I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited about a vegetable recipe!! 😂 I mean, we’ve all done... […]Nagi
- From the Owners of Love’s Sweet Arrow June 15, 2019Hey all! So Marissa emailed the site “Hello!” about the Kickstarter for Love’s Sweet Arrow … which was unfortunately unsuccessful but they persevered and decided to open anyway! Also, she and her mother eventually sent other articles … so here we are though! Today is the grand opening of Love’s Sweet Arrow, and this is […]ALBTALBS
- Guest Author Lorelie Brown on the Book that Took Six Years to Write June 4, 2019As a reader there is nothing I love more than a trilogy or series I can really invest myself in. Knowing that I’ll be able to revisit characters or settings over multibook arcs make me giddy with joy! Sometimes life grabs us by the throat and enough things go awry to the point where the […]ALBTALBS
- Replacing Yagi's Sprockets and Drive Chain, and a sunset June 26, 2019Tuesday, June 25Last day in Hotchkiss, hot and sunny. It was actually too hot to ride after work but Rich K. and I did get in a sunset ride on the Gunnison Gorge's North Rim.First though, Rich generously helped me (heck he did most of the work really) in replacing both the rear and counter […]redlegsrides
- Extending the trailer's tongue and a short ride in the Grand Mesa National Forest June 25, 2019Monday, June 24.Rich K. graciously provided the use of this Toyota Tundra pickup truck to tow the trailer over to the welding shop to have it's tongue lengthened by two fee.By 2PM, it was ready and we went to retrieve it. Great welding job by Valley Machine; highly recommended.Here's what the trailer looked like before […]redlegsrides
- Mid-week Wisdom June 26, 2019I saw the very funny David Sedaris this week. So here. AdvertisementsLorie Smith Schaefer
- Dreyer’s full of humor and style June 20, 2019I first bought the Kindle edition after it was recommended at a writing workshop. However, about halfway through all his delightful footnotes, I realized I needed a hard copy to sit on my shelf next to The Elements of Style. Benjamin Dreyer is that good. Readers, writers, and word nerds of all sorts will enjoy […]Lorie Smith Schaefer