Stress is not what happens to us. It’s our response to what happens. And response is something we can choose.
By awakening the Native American teachings, you come to the realization that the earth is not something simply that you build upon and walk upon and drive upon and take for granted.
It is a living entity. It has consciousness.
Love is the only way to rescue humanity from all of its ills.
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.
You may not have saved a lot of money in your life, but if you have saved a lot of heartaches for other folks, you are a pretty rich man.
Our origins are of the earth. And so there is in us a deeply seated response to the natural universe, which is part of our humanity.
Wherever the art of Medicine is loved, there is also a love of Humanity.
The stars we are given. The constellations we make. That is to say, stars exist in the cosmos, but constellations are the imaginary lines we draw between them, the readings we give the sky, the stories we tell.
Never mistake law for justice. Justice is an ideal, and law is a tool.
L.E. Modesitt, Jr.
Quotes August 25, 2018
- Filed under Quotes
- 41st annual Alaska Resources Conference November 20, 2020The Alaska Resource Development Council hosted its 41st annual Alaska Resources Conference on Wednesday, November 18. This year’s event was a single day, hosted online. As in years past, the presentations were from industry experts and provided an insight in to the past year as well as a look forward...Alaskanomics
- LISTEN: Alaska geologist says rainfall-induced landslides act like an ‘air hockey table’ December 4, 2020Landslides don't always occur under the same conditions, but in Southeast Alaska they're often associated with rainfall soaking soils over time, followed by a sudden, torrential downpour that shifts the balance between friction and gravity.Casey Grove, Alaska Public Media - Anchorage
- Alaska News Nightly: Thursday, December 3, 2020 December 4, 2020The Trump administration sets a date for a lease sale in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. And, the search continues for two Haines residents missing after yesterday's landslide. Plus, an Akiak woman shares her experience losing a relative to COVID-19.Mayowa Aina, Alaska Public Media - Anchorage
- american brevity -- 12/3/20 December 3, 2020Today's encore selection -- from Made in America: An Informal History of the English Language in the United States by Bill Bryson. A description of the Gettysburg Address and the development of a unique American style of prose, a style that was born in the mid-nineteenth century. This style was simple, plain, powerful, and stemmed […]
- a true alpha male -- 12/2/20 December 2, 2020Today's selection -- from Mama's Last Hug by Frans de Waal. Alpha males are the ones with the greatest empathy: "In animal research, the alpha male is simply the top-ranking male of a group. The term dates back to wolf studies of the 1940s by the Swiss ethologist Rudolf Schenkel, and it remains in use. […]
- Special Operations Survival Hacks and information December 2, 2020A free slideshow. Information and actions that are critical to survival. Water, snakes, hiking, first aid and more. Tidbits of information that can save your life.Bob
- Recent Research Spreadsheets November 30, 2016Our students have compiled research in three topic areas. Below are the links to their research tables that can be downloaded for searching and viewing. For a state-by-state review of Mandatory Reporter laws, click here. For a state-by-state review of Background Check laws, click...feigleycommunications
- 2016 Legislative Drafting Students November 15, 2016Our students spent the summer working on the inaugural project of the LDICP. Through their extensive research, massive databases of information on state statutes regarding the abuse of children ave been created and will be posted here as their work is finalized. Here are...feigleycommunications
- 7 Steps to Stop Overthinking Your Writing – by K.M. Weiland… December 4, 2020on Helping Writers become Authors: It’s a question I’ve received countless times from readers over the years—and one I’ve found myself asking of late as well: How do you stop overthinking your writing? Writers are often known as thinkers. Indeed, we’re often proud of the connotation. We spend a lot of time in our heads. […]Chris The Story Reading Ape
- more fun. December 3, 2020mental floss has reached into their incredible research bag of treasures to share some board games that may have had their time but alas, have not remained classics. below are a few gems and i’m not saying i wouldn’t want to play them, i am a huge fan of board games of all kinds – […]beth
- Businessman, renter missing in Alaska after landslide December 4, 2020There were numerous smaller slides in the community of about 2,500 people as heavy rains battered much of southeast AlaskaThe Associated Press
- Smorgasbord Cafe and Bookstore – Christmas Book Fair – #Romance Jacquie Biggar, #Fantasy C.S. Boyack, #Fantasy Charles E. Yallowitz, #Relationships Stevie Turner December 3, 2020Originally posted on Smorgasbord Blog Magazine: Welcome to the Christmas Book Fair where I will be featuring all the authors on the shelves of the Cafe and Bookstore that would make great gifts for family and friends. The first author…Charles Yallowitz
- Smorgasbord Blog Magazine – Christmas Archives – The 13 Trolls of Christmas! by Carol Taylor December 4, 2020Over the last seven years there have been some amazing guests in the run up to Christmas who have shared stories about their own memories of this time of year or their festive fiction. In the next four weeks I … Continue reading →Smorgasbord - Variety is the Spice of Life.
- It’s Too Peopley Out There July 3, 2020We live in the most perfect area to have a staycation. The gulf with its white sand beaches are only five minutes away. We have the best restaurants with fresh seafood and seats with the best views. The charter fishing experience is top notch. Evidently, this is not a best kept secret anymore. The only […]Elle Knowles
- Snack Attack December 3, 2020Waiting to board a train, an old lady just wants to eat her cookies in peace, but hijinks ensue when a teenager on the bench next to her seems intent on sharing them, too. This delightful animation was directed by Andrew Cadelago, with music by Roberto Murguia.
- The 10th Annual Gratitude Challenge! October 13, 2020It's hard to believe, but this is the TENTH year of the Positively Present Gratitude Challenge! I've been doing this for a decade (and I know many of you have too!), and I'm so excited to begin this year's challenge on November 1. There's always something special about celebrating gratitude during the month of November […]positively present
- Water & Diesel & Gazunders & Comestibles December 3, 2020My childhood was a bit “boom and bust” in terms of the family fortunes. This is probably why I have … MoreIan Hutson
- Cyber Monday Awaits You November 30, 2020Are you ready?Hope your internet connection is better and more dependable than my AT&T has been lately.Yep, it's time to do you Christmas shopping so get your shopping carts ready because there are all kinds of bargains.Here are a few I'm interested in to get you started. Better shop fast because they're going to go […]Joan Reeves
- Prog Rock and Progressive Activism May 24, 2020Progressive Rock Through the AgesBy: Stewart BrennanProgressive Rock is one of several experimental genres that evolved out of Rock n Roll in mid 1960’s. It was a purely creative genre that carried at its initial core, reflections of morality, philosophies, political views and the social economic conditions of the times.The genre had a wide range […]Stewart
- Lucile Doll Wise, 43-7 | August 2, 2018 August 17, 2018"Jacqueline Cochran was looking for WASP. They told me I would have to be interviewed and they would contact me when they came to the Wichita area. But I didn’t wait for that. I went down to Houston for my interview, to speed things up. And I think that’s one of the smartest things I […]Unknown
- Jean McCreery, 44-W-10. |. May 10, 2018 July 20, 2018"My first flight was with a barnstormer at the age of five. I loved it! I also tried to 'fly' out of the barn loft with an umbrella. This was less than successful..." WASP Jean Terrell McCreery, 44-10 The indomitable Marguerite Jean Terrell Moreo McCreery has "...slipped the surly bonds of Earth. And danced the skies on […]Unknown
- Comment on Brattleboro Vermont: Howard’s Alignment Shop – Street Scenes by David Greenlees December 3, 2020In reply to chris. No, I bought the property where the shop is from him. Our shop is here: https://theoldmotor.com/?page_id=29926David Greenlees
- Comment on Brattleboro Vermont: Howard’s Alignment Shop – Street Scenes by David Greenlees December 3, 2020In reply to tom. It was built into a hill side.David Greenlees
- Earn $6,000/mo Passive Income with Stock Footage (no prior experience!) May 23, 2020Stock footage might not sound too sexy or fun, but this is an easy one to start and doesn’t require any start up funding. In fact, you can start with your smartphone camera. Ready? You Ready Are You Ready GIF from Youready GIFs What is stock footage and how does it work? Stock footage […]Gundi Gabrielle
- 349F: Boy with gigantic tall spoon catching clouds December 2, 2020I am seeking a vintage children’s anthology possibly printed somewhere between 1940s-1960s. Possibly earlier. The main clue is an illustration of a boy holding a huge spoon, (tall like a ladder) scooping up clouds. The featured poem with the illustration … Continue reading →admin
- New Book and Audiobook Releases Sales and Freebies | December 2020 December 1, 2020New Kindle and Audiobook Releases, Sales and Freebies Updated almost daily Are you in our FB Group, Ana’s Attic After Dark? See the full November Release Recap here Where has this year gone? You would think it would seem so long, but it seems to have just disappeared, and I feel like I am never […]Ana's Attic
- Dramatic Entrance: 1940 December 4, 2020May 1940. "Front of abandoned residence in Georgetown, New Mexico. Ghost gold mining town." Acetate negative by Russell Lee for the Farm Security Administration. View full size.Dave
- The Stag Table: 1940 December 3, 2020May 1940. "Boys eating their lunch at the WPA nursery school at Casa Grande Valley Farms. Pinal County, Arizona." Photo by Russell Lee, Farm Security Administration. View full size.Dave
- Java, Dutch East Indies: 1918 October 20, 20201918 circa, Java, Dutch East Indies, a portrait of my father-in-law's parental family. My (late) father-in-law, Marinus Wennekes, is the boy in sailor suit, who is sitting prominently in the middle in front. He was born in 1912 in Magelang, Java, Dutch Indies. He is surrounded by his parents and siblings. The father, my wife's […]Alex
- Cars on the Beach: 1950s October 20, 2020Cars drive on the beach in New York, San Diego or Virginia. The tower on the right does not appear in any other commonly available photos of New York-area beaches, so I could be completely off base. It's from the early 50s, as best I can tell from the makes of the cars depicted, and […]knockatize
- Priorities December 4, 2020In reply to The Stag Table: 1940: Looks like cabbage, carrots and spinach. The spinach of course is eaten last (some things never change). If there was any meat, it's long gone. Brings to mind what my father used to say to me and my three younger brothers when there was a rare reluctance to […]bohneyjames
- A Cooperative is not Socialism December 3, 2020In reply to The Stag Table: 1940: KAP, Casa Grande Valley Farms was a cooperative. It operated under cooperative principles, which mostly involve providing economies of scale. The Federal government has been supporting agriculture through cooperatives since the Federal Land Bank was formed in 1916. The FSA my have initially allocated the same resources to […]Doug Floor Plan
- 12 Unexpected Flower Ideas & Tips For An Outdoor Wedding December 3, 2020The types of outdoor wedding flowers you choose can drastically change the look and feel of any wedding venue. This is even more true with outdoor weddings. In many cases outdoor wedding venues remain rather plain. That is, of course, until unique outdoor wedding ideas are called into action. The following tips are designed to […]Valeriya Istomina
- Best Travel Makeup Bag May 23, 2020Travel Makeup Bag Comparison habe ROWNYEON HaloVa Relavel Rownyeon Pro MelodySusie Ac.y.c Mossio B & C Chomeiu Material Nylon OxfordFabric Nylon Oxford Fabric PU...Linda Krantz
- Wordless Wednesday #539 February 12, 2020Signs of Spring For more Wordless Wednesday, Click here.suziqoregon
- Way to neutralize chlorine in wash water? Copy November 30, 2020Question from Marie I think we just figured out that my teenager with MCS is very sensitive to the chlorine in our municipal water (used for washing clothes, of course). We are at a temporary location. When we find a place to move to, I planned on getting a whole house filter system which I […]Debra Lynn Dadd
- Tips for Non-Toxic Holiday Gatherings Copy November 22, 2020One of the best things about the holidays is gathering together with family and friends for special meals and gift-giving. Unfortunately, all of that cooking and decorating can add to indoor air pollution and toxic exposures. Here are some easy tips to keep your gathering safe and healthy. Avoid Candles and Scented Décor Candles […]Lisa Powers
- Sun Hemp Cover Crop August 12, 2020Sun hemp is a perfect cover crop for building the quality of your soil. And soil is everything when it comes to the garden. Soil provides nutrients for plants to be absorbed via their roots and retains moisture for the plant. Well-aerated soil is important and can be achieved by adding compost to your soil. […]gardenfrisk
- Successful Pineapple Harvest July 31, 2020At last, I have achieved a successful pineapple harvest from my backyard garden. It didn’t require much effort, but it did require patience. Years of patience. Generally pineapples take about two and a half years to harvest. On the advice of a friend, I planted these pineapple four and five years ago. He said it […]gardenfrisk
- brainiac December 3, 2020Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day for December 3, 2020 is: brainiac \BRAY-nee-ak\ noun : a very intelligent person Examples: "As the Kendall Square Association advocates for transportation fixes, the Cambridge group likes to say that you can't find the cure for cancer while sitting in traffic. You can't. But all this congestion might […]Merriam-Webster
- Big Mouth returns and John Boyega graces the small screen in Red, White And Blue December 4, 2020Here’s what’s happening in the world of television for Friday, December 4, and Saturday, December 5. All times are Eastern. Read more...Saloni Gajjar on TV Club, shared by Saloni Gajjar to The A.V. Club
- Jane Curtin on 3rd Rock, SNL, and how her improv background helped her on Jeopardy! December 4, 2020Jane Curtin is comedy royalty. One of the original Not Ready For Prime Time Players on Saturday Night Live when the show launched in 1975, she made her mark as one of the era’s go-to straightmen. At the Weekend Update desk, she sparred with Dan Aykroyd, who she’d don a prosthetic with for the beloved […]Marah Eakin on Film, shared by Marah Eakin to The A.V. Club
- 25 years ago, Catan became an American hit by beating Monopoly at its own cruel game December 4, 2020Every Friday, A.V. Club staffers kick off our weekly open thread for the discussion of gaming plans and recent gaming glories, but of course, the real action is down in the comments, where we invite you to answer our eternal question: What Are You Playing This Weekend?Read more...Samantha Nelson on Games, shared by Samantha Nelson to The A.V. Club
- Letitia Wright criticized for spreading anti-vaccination video December 4, 2020Letitia Wright is trending on Twitter tonight, but not in the way that she (or, at least, her employers at Disney) might probably want. Which is to say, Wright—best known for her role as Wakandan royalty Shuri in Black Panther and other Marvel films—has come under criticism for a pretty typical one-two punch of…Read more...William Hughes on News, shared by William Hughes to The A.V. Club
- Meatball Baked Ziti November 5, 2020Cheesy baked ziti with the easiest homemade meatballs. Quick to prepare and so so good. Comfort food at its best here! Baked ziti. My all-time favorite kind of comfort food. Except, I couldn’t just leave it like that. No, I couldn’t. I threw in some homemade meatballs and topped this entire bad boy with burrata […]Chungah @ Damn Delicious
- Slow Cooker Olive Garden Pasta e Fagioli October 28, 2020Everyone’s FAVORITE Olive Garden soup made so easily in the crockpot! Just set it and forget it! Guys, it’s snowing. No joke. It has been snowing two days straight in the midwest. And yes, Cartman has his winter beanie ready to go. That being said, you can find me by the fireplace, chunky sweaters and […]Chungah @ Damn Delicious
- A New Version of Me November 28, 2020I hope everyone who celebrates Thanksgiving found a joyful, if not traditional way to enjoy the holiday, in view of the problems we’re facing during this pandemic. My son and his lovely wife invited me to visit their home and stay for a few days, because I haven’t misbehaved during the pandemic – their trust […]Susan Jean Ricci
- Commercials: Beautiful Christmas Thoughts and So Much More November 27, 2020Hello and Happy Black Friday, although this year may not be as big a shopping blow-out as in previous years. I, for one, am avoiding all stores and in-person shopping. There is nothing I need so badly that I can’t find it online or in one of the three places I shop for food and […]Susanne Matthews