There is light in the darkness. You just have to find it.
Find ecstasy in life: the mere sense of living is joy enough.
To drop into being means to recognize your interconnectedness with all life…
Your very nature is being part of larger and larger spheres of wholeness.
Change is the end result of all true learning.
Children have to be educated, but they have also to be left to educate themselves.
Every artist was at first an amateur.
Ralph W. Emerson
Education is the ability to meet life’s situations.
Dr. John G. Hibben
Learning starts with failure; the first failure is the beginning of education.
It is as impossible to withhold education from the receptive mind as it is impossible to force it upon the unreasoning.
Education is for improving the lives of others and for leaving your community and world better than you found it.
Marian Wright Edelman
Intelligence plus character-that is the goal of true education.
Martin Luther King Jr.
Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
Quotes August 29, 2018
- Filed under Quotes
There is light in the darkness. You just have to find it.
- COVID-19 disruptions cause 13.1 percent job loss in April May 22, 2020May 22, 2020 No. 20-17 JUNEAU, Alaska — Alaska’s job count was down 13.1 percent in April from the same month last year, a loss of 42,200 jobs. The state’s seasonally adjusted unemployment rate jumped to 12.9 percent, up from 5.2 percent in March. The comparable U.S rate rose from...Alaskanomics
- Two still hospitalized after forestry plane crash in Aniak June 2, 2020Officials say the pilot and one passenger are still recovering from surgeries performed after the crash.Krysti Shallenberger, Alaska's Energy Desk - Bethel
- Sen. Murkowski pushes for an additional $1 billion in federal fisheries relief funds June 2, 2020Murkowski said that the PPP loans don't adequately cover seasonal businesses like fisheries.Tyler Thompson, KDLG - Dillingham
- robert clive, india, and untold riches -- 6/2/20 June 2, 2020Today's selection -- from The Anarchy by William Dalrymple. A young, bold, British military leader named Robert Clive led the British East India Company, which effectively had its own army, to victories of conquest against India. In doing so, he became one of the richest men in the world: "[Through his military victories in 1757, Robert […]
- war service, theodore sr., and theodore jr. -- 6/01/20 June 1, 2020Today's selection -- from The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris. Theodore Roosevelt, Sr., father to the future president, spent his years in the Civil War persuading soldiers to set aside voluntary pay deductions for family support, a novel concept in war: "He had spent most of the summer agonizing, to the tramp of […]
- Day 83: 2020 Pandemic. The Normalization of the Abnormal Leads Us Down A Very Dangerous Path June 2, 2020For over three years we’ve been subjected a nonstop barrage of “alternate facts”. In essence, an alternate reality as envisioned in the mind of the president and echoed by his sycophants. Every time it doesn’t seem it can get worse, it does. The strange thing is that none of what he does is secret. He’s […]Bob
- Recent Research Spreadsheets November 30, 2016Our students have compiled research in three topic areas. Below are the links to their research tables that can be downloaded for searching and viewing. For a state-by-state review of Mandatory Reporter laws, click here. For a state-by-state review of Background Check laws, click...feigleycommunications
- 2016 Legislative Drafting Students November 15, 2016Our students spent the summer working on the inaugural project of the LDICP. Through their extensive research, massive databases of information on state statutes regarding the abuse of children ave been created and will be posted here as their work is finalized. Here are...feigleycommunications
- The Drabble #amwriting June 2, 2020Originally posted on Life in the Realm of Fantasy: Right now, we have a lot of opportunities to sell our extremely short stories. Many online publications are looking for drabbles (100-word stories) and flash fictions under 750 words. These editors are looking for new, unpublished work, so get out your pens and start writing. You…The Story Reading Ape
- boat o’ goats. June 2, 2020we’re gonna’ need a bigger boat — “ideas are easy. it’s the execution of ideas that really separates the sheep from the goats.” -sue grafton — image credit: white lotus farms, ann arbor, michigan, usabeth
- Night seven: More unrest, arrests, death and a president who says: 'Dominate the streets' June 2, 2020In Nashville more than 60 National Guard members put down their riot shields at the request of peaceful protesters who had gathered in front of Tennessee's Capitol to honor George FloydThe Associated Press
- Teaser Tuesday: The Mercenary Queen #fantasy #adventure June 2, 2020The oddest thing is that I don’t seem to have any Teaser Tuesdays in regards to Legends of Windemere: Ritual of the Lost Lamb. I know I made some, but I can’t find them within any searches. Guess I was … Continue reading →Charles Yallowitz
- Smorgasbord Laughter Lines – June 2nd 2020 – Host Debby Gies and Guest Balroop Singh June 2, 2020Firstly, with the results of sleuthing on the Internet are some funnies from Debby Gies followed by some poetry that was suggested by Balroop Singh D.G. Writes is where you will find an archive full of wonderful posts across several … Continue reading →Smorgasbord - Variety is the Spice of Life.
- Lots of luck, kids — you’re going to need it June 2, 2020 bluebird of bitterness
- What I’ve learned during the lockdown and other strange things April 5, 2020I’ve always been a homebody, but after having no choice but to stay at home, I’ve learned that I miss being able to come and go as I please – go being the operative word. I’ve learned to order groceries online and pick them up. What are all those people doing in Walmart? The parking […]Elle Knowles
- King of the Island May 28, 2020Dreams don't always turn out like we envision. It takes real courage to let go of those cloudy visions and embrace what we find in the light of day. This is a wonderful story about how to use our dreams like stars to travel by while still keeping our hearts open to life as it […]
- 40 free + fun things to do at home April 8, 2020Another list featuring things to do during stay-at-home time? I don't blame you if you're rolling your eyes. But, after doing some research, I've found that a lot of these curated lists rely heavily on two things: having someone else in your home with you and having the money to purchase all kinds of stuff […]positively present
- Jam Jam Fender WIP May 29, 2020My apologies for my quiet-th of late. I can abide many things but rank and eager mass stupidity is not … MoreIan Hutson
- App Review: Typing Club June 1, 2020Do you know someone who is really slow at typing or keyboarding as many call it?Is that person you?If you want to increase your speed at typing, there's an easy—and free—way to do it online.Join the Typing Club.TypingClub is a very effective way to learn how to type. It's web-based and truly effective. Best of […]Joan Reeves
- Prog Rock and Progressive Activism May 24, 2020Progressive Rock Through the AgesBy: Stewart BrennanProgressive Rock is one of several experimental genres that evolved out of Rock n Roll in mid 1960’s. It was a purely creative genre that carried at its initial core, reflections of morality, philosophies, political views and the social economic conditions of the times.The genre had a wide range […]Stewart
- Lucile Doll Wise, 43-7 | August 2, 2018 August 17, 2018"Jacqueline Cochran was looking for WASP. They told me I would have to be interviewed and they would contact me when they came to the Wichita area. But I didn’t wait for that. I went down to Houston for my interview, to speed things up. And I think that’s one of the smartest things I […]Unknown
- Jean McCreery, 44-W-10. |. May 10, 2018 July 20, 2018"My first flight was with a barnstormer at the age of five. I loved it! I also tried to 'fly' out of the barn loft with an umbrella. This was less than successful..." WASP Jean Terrell McCreery, 44-10 The indomitable Marguerite Jean Terrell Moreo McCreery has "...slipped the surly bonds of Earth. And danced the skies on […]Unknown
- First Street and Grand Avenue Los Angeles, California June 1, 2020Today’s featured photo is dated April 20, 1961, by the source is a view of traffic at the intersection of 1st St. and Grand Ave. in Los Angeles, CA. The picture was taken from the roof of the courthouse near the Civic Center. The three enlargeable sectional images of the lead image (below) contain a...David Greenlees
- Parking Lot Series: Philadelphia’s Reyburn Plaza May 30, 2020Today’s image, taken in the early-1950s from City Hall in Philadelphia, is a view of Reyburn Plaza while it was serving as a temporary parking lot. The roadway in the foreground is Filbert Street, and visible at the rear of the plaza is a music shell. The vast majority of the automobiles parked in the...David Greenlees
- Earn $6,000/mo Passive Income with Stock Footage (no prior experience!) May 23, 2020Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning we receive a small commission if you decide to make a purchase through our links, but this is at no additional cost to you. Quite often, we even negotiated a special discount only available to Friends of SassyZenGirl, so win-win for everybody 😎. We use all these […]Gundi Gabrielle
- 340Y: Hidden Paintings and Blueberries June 2, 2020I am looking for a children’s mystery book about several siblings who are spending the summer in an old house and find several paintings hidden in the house by a deceased but famous painter. It seems as though their grandmother … Continue reading →admin
- New Kindle and Audiobook Releases, Sales and Freebies June 2020 June 2, 2020New Kindle and Audiobook Releases, Sales and Freebies Updated almost daily Are you in our FB Group, Ana’s Attic After Dark? It’s June. School is over, but that hasn’t made any difference here. I had gotten my reading mojo back before the protests began, but I am back to being glued to the TV and […]Ana's Attic
- Liberty and Union: 1904 June 1, 2020LIBERTY AND UNION NOW AND FOREVER, ONE AND INSEPARABLE 1904. "Steele High School and Soldiers' Monument, Dayton, O." 8x10 inch dry plate glass negative, Detroit Photographic Company. View full size.Dave
- City Library: 1905 May 31, 20201905. "City Library -- Springfield, Mass." By 1909, the building, completed in 1871, had been uprooted and moved back 200 feet to make way for the much larger current library at the corner of State and Walnut. 8x10 inch glass negative, Detroit Photographic Co. View full size.Dave
- The Candy Kitchen: 1906 May 25, 2020The Candy Kitchen located on Main Street across from the Hildreth Hotel and Opera House in downtown Charles City, Iowa, circa 1906. Glass negative.jps56
- Dad and Son: 1908 May 25, 2020A father and son outside of their rural Charles City, Iowa home, circa 1908. Found in a collection of glass negatives.jps56
- Gamewell cable box June 2, 2020In reply to City Library: 1905: Still around I guess -- there's a good picture of one on Flickr.Agr32
- The Finished Product June 2, 2020In reply to Liberty and Union: 1904: It's always interesting to see how Detroit Photographic turned these great B&W shots into a color postcard.Vonderbees
- 6 Legitimate Ways to Make Money as a Stay-at-Home Mom June 2, 2020Being a stay-at-home mom is like having a full-time job but instead of getting paid in cash, you get lots of love and hugs. As satisfying as that is, surviving on one income is difficult. Taking care of children is also no easy job but it becomes considerably easier once they join school. This leaves […]Heather Smith
- Best Travel Makeup Bag May 23, 2020Travel Makeup Bag Comparison habe ROWNYEON HaloVa Relavel Rownyeon Pro MelodySusie Ac.y.c Mossio B & C Chomeiu Material Nylon OxfordFabric Nylon Oxford Fabric PU...Linda Krantz
- Wordless Wednesday #539 February 12, 2020Signs of Spring For more Wordless Wednesday, Click here.suziqoregon
- How to Minimize Odor and Off-Gassing from Paint June 2, 2020A reader submitted a question to Toxic Free Q&A about how to minimize lingering odor from zero-VOC paint. Andy Pace, from The Green Design Center, wrote in with a comment that was so helpful I want to share it with everyone. According to Andy, “Lingering odor is almost always caused by moisture trapped in […]Lisa Powers
- Wet Room Floor June 2, 2020Question from Marilyn I’m planning to redo a bathroom with an open shower. The contractor tells me it involves some kind of hot tar layer to make the floor water proof before laying tile. Do you know of a non-toxic option that meets California code? Lisa’s Answer I am not familiar with California code so […]Lisa Powers
- Bumblebees Induce Flowering May 24, 2020A new study has discovered that bumblebees actually bite plants to induce flowering so they can get to the business of pollinating. “In a sense, the bees are signaling, Hey, we need food. Please speed up your flowering, and we’ll pollinate you.” It’s an incredible discovery. Bees can actually force plants to flower up to […]gardenfrisk
- Growing Pineapple at Home May 1, 2020My pineapples are finally popping! Woohoo–what a great day to be a gardener! Not only have they sprouted, but look at these beauties. Beautifully formed to plump perfection beckoning my palate with their promise of juicy fruit. Remember when they were just tops in the ground? I posted this photo (shown below) back in July […]gardenfrisk
- eolian June 2, 2020Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day for June 2, 2020 is: eolian \ee-OH-lee-un\ adjective : borne, deposited, produced, or eroded by the wind Examples: The park is known for its eolian caves—chambers formed in sandstone cliffs by powerful winds. "If an extremely tenuous atmosphere like that of Pluto can support the generation of bedforms […]Merriam-Webster
- PSA: Posting those black squares on Instagram isn't helping anybody June 2, 2020Blackout Tuesday is meant to interrupt daily life in order to raise awareness for racist police brutality and the protests catalyzed by the police murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Ahmaud Arbery. The day was organized by Jamila Thomas and Brianna Agyemang, current and former Atlantic Records workers, in…Read more...Reid McCarter on News, shared by Reid McCarter to The A.V. Club
- We Are Freestyle Love Supreme is a feel-good origin story for Lin-Manuel Miranda’s first troupe June 2, 2020Before Hamilton made Lin-Manuel Miranda a household name, one of his first big public moments came when he freestyle-rapped his Tony acceptance speech for his 2005 musical In The Heights. It was a skill he’d honed in Freestyle Love Supreme, a hip-hop improv group created by a handful of Wesleyan University grads in a…Read more...Caroline Siede on Film, shared by Caroline Siede to The A.V. Club
- Conservative media clout-chaser busted for staging photo of her helping board up storefront June 2, 2020We are living through a defining moment in American history, one that seeks to reconcile the horrors of our past and present with how (or if) we can move forward as a nation. It requires courage, compassion, honesty, solidarity, and selflessness. It does not require clout chasers, social media grifters, and liars…Read more...Andrew Paul on News, shared by Andrew Paul to The A.V. Club
- Mission: Impossible 7 will resume (outdoor) production in September June 2, 2020As it turns out, even Tom Cruise is not immune to the effects of a pandemic. Mission: Impossible 7 was among the many film productions shut down earlier this year in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Rogue Nation and Fallout director Christopher McQuarrie is back behind the camera for the sequel, which he intended to…Read […]Britt Hayes on News, shared by Britt Hayes to The A.V. Club
- Weeknight Baked Gnocchi May 17, 2020Super simple, quick and easy with a very short ingredient list! SO GOOD, so comforting, and a sure hit with the entire family! Remember that homemade gnocchi I posted last month? Well, I promised you a “baked gnocchi recipe coming soon, smothered in marinara sauce, ground beef and all the cheese.” Well, here it is […]Chungah @ Damn Delicious
- Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan and Soft-Boiled Eggs May 5, 2020This is truly the only way to prepare asparagus! Roasted perfectly until crisp-tender and served with a refreshing tarragon vinaigrette, soft-boiled eggs and freshly shaved Parmesan. Our Spring doesn’t feel exactly like spring time just yet here in Chicago. It’s cold – like 35 degrees, still wearing Uggs, a parka, and a beanie/gloves type cold. […]Chungah @ Damn Delicious
- Where Did The Week Go? May 29, 2020My handsome son traveled from his home in New York State to help this old prune transfer data from her old computer to a new one – for those of you who’ve heard Mack the KnifeI, I had Mac the Dinosaur, and it had to go. My family and I had been careful about social […]Susan Jean Ricci
- When Things Go Wrong… May 27, 2020I’m sure most of you will agree that as far as having things go wrong, COVID 19 takes the prize, but this week things got really crazy around here when the modem for my Internet service died. Considering we are still under stay home orders for the most part, that spelled disaster! I had no […]Susanne Matthews
- ‘This could happen to me’ — The Air Force’s top enlisted airman shares his struggle against racism in the ranks June 2, 2020"You don’t know the anxiety, the despair, the heartache, the fear, the rage that comes with living in this country, OUR country."David Roza
- Trump says he will 'deploy the US military' if states don't halt violent protests June 1, 2020WASHINGTON/MINNEAPOLIS (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday vowed to end violent protests in major cities across the nation "now," saying that he would deploy the military if mayors and state governors refused to call out the National Guard. As Trump spoke in the Rose Garden of the ...David Shepardson and Brendan O'Brien, Reuters