True heroism … is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets.
playwright and essayist, in “The Ride Down Mount Morgan”
hey always say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.
artist, director and producer
Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.
Be happy with what you have while you pursue what you want.
Hating someone makes them important. Forgiving them makes them obsolete.
Quotes July 09, 2019
- Filed under Quotes
True heroism … is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
- There’s more to your vision than meets the eye January 24, 20202020 is the year of the eye. The eyes are not just a window to your soul, they are a window to your health. Abnormalities spotted in the eye are often the first signs of disease elsewhere in the body. Do you have questions about glaucoma? Cataracts? What about PRK or Lasik?Dr. Justin Clark
- Alaska DOC reverses plans to send prison inmates out of state January 24, 2020Alaska Department of Corrections Commissioner Nancy Dahlstrom told state lawmakers that she canceled the bid process during a committee hearing Thursday.Adelyn Baxter, KTOO - Juneau
- Recent Research Spreadsheets November 30, 2016Our students have compiled research in three topic areas. Below are the links to their research tables that can be downloaded for searching and viewing. For a state-by-state review of Mandatory Reporter laws, click here. For a state-by-state review of Background Check laws, click...feigleycommunications
- 2016 Legislative Drafting Students November 15, 2016Our students spent the summer working on the inaugural project of the LDICP. Through their extensive research, massive databases of information on state statutes regarding the abuse of children ave been created and will be posted here as their work is finalized. Here are...feigleycommunications
- Wikimedia Commons picture of the day for January 25 January 25, 2020Picture of the day View of the Salar de Uyuni, the surrounding mountains and giant cactuses (Echinopsis atacamensis) in Incahuasi island, Daniel Campos Province, Potosí Department, southwest Bolivia, not far from the crest of the Andes. This salt flat is, with a surface of 10,582 square kilometers (4,086 sq mi), the world's largest.
- Wikimedia Commons picture of the day for January 24 January 24, 2020Picture of the day Great Wall of China at Badaling.
- Newly published; Here Next to an Iphone January 24, 2020The Green Beret Pocket-Sized Survival Guide is now available. It’s an updated and upgraded version of previous guides and designed to fit just about anywhere. This is the essential book we all need at least one copy of. The prefect manual for your grab-n-go bag; glove compartment; kitchen drawer. Designed to fit in your purse […]Bob
- What Can We Learn From Past Disasters To Prevent Future Ones? January 19, 2020This is the premise of Stuff Doesn’t Just Happen: The Gift of Failure. Two books, each one focusing on seven great disasters of the past. Have we learned from them? What can we learn? Every disaster usually involved seven things happen. Six cascade events and then the seventh, the disaster. At least one of the […]Bob
- A Different Type Of UFO – A Guest Post By Mae Clair @MaeClair1 January 22, 2020Have you ever witnessed the sighting of a UFO? Meet Mae Clair, who shares a true story of an encounter with a UFO.Continue readingHugh's Views and News
- It's Not Fair #flashfiction January 20, 2020Continuing the story of Doug, Sophie and Mike. If two is company, does three mean it's a crowd and that somebody has to go? Continue readingHugh's Views and News
- The Freedom of Writing Without Chapters structuring a novel, writing scenes, writing chapters, do you need chapters – by Janice Hardy… January 25, 2020on Fiction University: A first draft doesn’t need to adhere to a chapter format. I’m not sure when I started writing this way, but sometime in the last four or five years, I stopped using chapters during a first draft. Instead, I write scenes grouped by acts, and decide later how those scenes fit into […]The Story Reading Ape
- FRIDAY SMILES January 24, 2020Originally posted on Phoenix Rainez: Phoenix Rainez View original postThe Story Reading Ape
- beneath. January 24, 2020Beneath The Sweater And The Skin How many years of beauty do I have left? she asks me. How many more do you want? Here. Here is 34. Here is 50. When you are 80 years old and your beauty rises in ways your cells cannot even imagine now and your wild bones grow luminous […]beth
- Autopsy confirms, Selena Not Afraid died of hypothermia January 24, 2020Crow tribal chairman calls for investigation into her death as more test results are releasedDalton Walker
- Dine' Actor Loren Anthony 'Don't ever give up.' January 24, 2020Indian Country turns out for Casting Society of America's nationwide callJonathan Sims
- Top 5 of 2019: 7 Tips to Writing Characters with Healing Factors/Regeneration (#2) January 24, 2020Coming to us from June 6, 2019! Not much else I can say about this one. Doesn’t have the same controversy factor as the previous 2 and compared to #1 it’s . . . Well, you’ll see next week. One … Continue reading →Charles Yallowitz
- Smorgasbord Short Stories – What’s in a Name? – Hannah – Finding a way to move on…..by Sally Cronin January 25, 2020There are names that have been passed down through thousands of years which have powerful and deep-rooted meaning to their bearers. Other names have been adopted from other languages, cultures and from the big screen. They all have one thing … Continue reading →Smorgasbord - Variety is the Spice of Life.
- When I had more time… January 24, 2020I woke up this morning thinking there was never any time to do the things I wanted to do. Of course it was seven-thirty am and I think I may have actually thrown back the covers closer to eight. That was after I picked up my phone and checked emails, twitter, Facebook, and played a […]Elle Knowles
- Herd: A Spiritual Journey January 23, 2020In 1999 Liz Mitten Ryan, award-winning artist, mother of six and founder of a successful fine art publishing company in Vancouver, moved with her architect husband, and a herd of eleven horses, to Gateway 2 Ranch -- a 320-acre slice of paradise nestled in the grasslands of British Columbia. For several months their home was […]
- Serotiny: The Story of Lead to Life January 16, 2020Serotiny refers to the process of seeds using the destructive power of fire to trigger the germination of new growth. On the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination, the organization Lead to Life gathered in Atlanta to honor the life of gun victims by putting weapons of killing through fire to forge shovels; […]
- 9 Tips for Battling the Winter Blues December 23, 2019As winter arrives, I'm taken back in my mind to last year... Last winter, I was really down and out at the start of 2019. I spent so much time in bed, engaging in unhealthy coping methods, and generally just feeling rotten about myself and my life. While I don't know for sure if this […]positively present
- Heavy Fog in the English Channel – Europe cut off #narrowboat #boating #boatsthattweet January 20, 2020Well, it were a bit misty t’other day. Lumpy though; thicker patches did keep drifting past as though some unseen … MoreIan Hutson
- Mud, mud, Gloria’s mud, there’s nothing quite like it for chewing the cud #narrowboat #boating #England January 18, 2020Soggy is a word wholly inadequate for describing the towpaths hereabouts at present. Mud-wallows is a phrase more fitted to … MoreIan Hutson
- Month by Month Blog Post Ideas: Part 2 of 2 January 23, 2020Welcome to Part 2 of 2 of Month by Month Blog Post Ideas.Did you miss Part 1 of these Blog Tip? If so, just click here.As I said in Part 1, you should always have a list of resources that can nudge your imagination.Your resources should be topics you can go to time and again […]Joan Reeves
- Amazon Prime Benefits You Should Know About January 21, 2020This morning when I was working out, I had YouTube on. I watched 10 Hidden Amazon Prime Benefits by NextTimeTech.Absolutely watch his video. He lists the direct links for each of the 10 benefits he discusses.I'm going to share 4 benefits that I haven't been using that I plan to adopt immediately. I'll admit up […]Joan Reeves
- The Minstral Show – (Episode 081) January 12, 2020Welcome to the Minstral Show, the podcast that spotlights the very best music from around the world, made exclusively in the 21st century.A new decade begins as Jan 2020 unfolds to reveal the next chapter of music…part of which, will be heard here today through new songs by Glass Eye, The Room in the Wood, […]Stewart
- Lucile Doll Wise, 43-7 | August 2, 2018 August 17, 2018"Jacqueline Cochran was looking for WASP. They told me I would have to be interviewed and they would contact me when they came to the Wichita area. But I didn’t wait for that. I went down to Houston for my interview, to speed things up. And I think that’s one of the smartest things I […]Unknown
- Jean McCreery, 44-W-10. |. May 10, 2018 July 20, 2018"My first flight was with a barnstormer at the age of five. I loved it! I also tried to 'fly' out of the barn loft with an umbrella. This was less than successful..." WASP Jean Terrell McCreery, 44-10 The indomitable Marguerite Jean Terrell Moreo McCreery has "...slipped the surly bonds of Earth. And danced the skies on […]Unknown
- Four Fun Friday Kodachrome Car Photographs No. 239 January 24, 2020Today’s featured image appears to have been taken at about this time of the year in a quaint college town somewhere in the northern part of the country in the late-1940s to early-’50s. It’s not very easy to identify the vehicles covered with snow in the photograph, although the location is something to go to...David Greenlees
- Busy Richmond Roundabout Services Four Thoroughfares January 23, 2020The time was June of 1950, and this image contains a view of the old Westwood Circle on the North Side of Richmond, VA. The rotary was at the intersection of North Boulevard, Hermitage Road and Westwood Avenue. It was in place until 1961 when the circle was removed, and a conventional intersection with signal...David Greenlees
- The Amazing CAPE PENINSULA – Breathtaking Scenic Ocean Drives, Penguins & the Cape of Good Hope April 3, 2019********* The Cape Peninsula and Western Cape region are absolutely breathtaking! I especially love the turquoise waters that are so typical for the Cape scenery. You can instantly recognize this region just by that color – that’s how special it is! A Road Trip Around the Cape Peninsula One of the most fun things to do […]Gundi Gabrielle
- Leaving Town For A Week January 18, 2020Hello Everybody, I will be attending a conference for work in Baltimore over the course of next week, so I will not be replying to any e-mails or making posts/posting comments on this page until January 28th. Please have patience … Continue reading →admin
- January 24, 2020 – NATIONAL COMPLIMENT DAY – NATIONAL PEANUT BUTTER DAY – BEER CAN APPRECIATION DAY January 24, 2020The post January 24, 2020 – NATIONAL COMPLIMENT DAY – NATIONAL PEANUT BUTTER DAY – BEER CAN APPRECIATION DAY appeared first on National Day Calendar.Doug Philp
- January 23, 2020 – NATIONAL PIE DAY – NATIONAL HANDWRITING DAY January 23, 2020The post January 23, 2020 – NATIONAL PIE DAY – NATIONAL HANDWRITING DAY appeared first on National Day Calendar.Doug Philp
- Twice in a Blue Moon by Christina Lauren – Audiobook Review January 22, 2020Twice in a Blue Moon by Christina Lauren Narrated by Erin Mallon Standalone Contemporary Romance NOTE: The blurb for this book has spoilers! Christina Lauren is an auto-buy author duo for me. I love their romantic comedies, and I was so excited for this. I listened in October/November, but it was while my life was […]Ana's Attic
- Good and Bad: 1941 January 24, 2020March 1941. "Bedford, Virginia." Would you buy a used DeSoto from these men? Medium format acetate negative by John Vachon for the Farm Security Administration. View full size.Dave
- Fairest of Them All: 1941 January 24, 2020March 1941. "Mother and child. Bedford County farm, Virginia." Medium format acetate negative by John Vachon for the Farm Security Administration. View full size.Dave
- 6th & Main: 1950 January 24, 2020This photo was taken by my close friend and fellow transit historian, Kenneth L. Douglas (1929-2017), who was born and raised in Huntington Park, Los Angeles. Ken gave me this 35mm slide about 1959, at the time I first became acquainted with him while we were both residents of Philadelphia. The photo looks north at […]prrvet
- Third & Locust: 1910 January 24, 2020Third and Locust in Columbia, Pennsylvania, circa 1910. Photographer unknown. Scanned from a broken 8x10 glass negative (shown cracks restored via Photoshop but otherwise not retouched). The black edges are due to lost emulsion aging. Most buildings shown still exist. The corner building on the right was, for many years, Hinkles Pharmacy, where "Doc Hinkle" […]King Musser
- Cute Valentine’s Day Chocolate Hugs Cookies Recipe January 24, 2020I gave my daughter Macy a new mixer for Christmas – not the Kitchenaid mixer she thought she wanted, but a Sunbeam mixer – not because the Sunbeam was way less expensive (okay maybe), but because my first standup mixer was a Sunbeam that I received when my kids were little by my mother-in-law. That […]Kim Rowley
- Best Poker Table January 18, 2020Top 10 Poker Table Poker Table Comparison HomCom View Giantex View Giantex 48 View Trademark View Fat Cat View Trademark Deluxe View Firstand View...Jonathan Maxwell
- Wordless Wednesday #536 January 22, 2020Anna’s Hummingbird For more Wordless Wednesday, Click here.suziqoregon
- See How I Search for a Non-Toxic Footstool January 21, 2020I’m in the market for a non-toxic footstool for my husband. He has a chair that he uses in a quiet corner of our house and would like to be able to put his feet up. Since it’s not in a main room of our house, I’m not looking for investment-quality furniture but I would […]Lisa Powers
- PVC-Free Adhesive Cord Cover January 18, 2020Question from Melissa I’m having trouble finding PVC-free adhesive cord covers to cover my long ethernet cables in the house. Optimally they are like these ones, but PVC-free: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KFP5SJ8/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AIVUHJ2NABNJF&psc=1 Lisa’s Answer All of the plastic covers that I found were PVC. Would you consider a fabric cover? It would be safer to avoid the […]Lisa Powers
- Salad Bistro November 21, 2019My garden is like a salad bistro from November through April. The weather is perfect and nothing says “al fresco” like a Florida winter. In my garden, I grow a variety of lettuce, brassicas, and roots–all perfect for a healthy salad. However, eating salad every day can get boring. Yes, I said it out loud. […]gardenfrisk
- Rust and Beans November 4, 2019Rust is a fungal disease that commonly occurs in Florida where it’s warm and humid. Most beans are susceptible to Rust. The disease generally occurs only during prolonged periods of warm, wet and/or humid weather. Rust refers to a variety of fungus, exists in at least 35 pathotypes and is extremely variable. Symptoms develop on leaves […]gardenfrisk
- Ginger & Lemon Balm Honey Syrup for Colds & Flu January 24, 2020Learn how to make a yummy ginger and lemon balm honey syrup to help fight cold and flu bugs. Herbal syrups are one of the easiest (and tastiest) things you can make for your natural medicine cabinet. Basically, they’re composed of a strong herbal tea, mixed with at least an equal measure of raw honey. (The […]Jan @ The Nerdy Farm Wife
- euphoria January 24, 2020Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day for January 24, 2020 is: euphoria \yoo-FOR-ee-uh\ noun : a feeling of well-being or elation Examples: "In February 2014, Xenia gave birth to their daughter, Ella. Ben still recalls the euphoria of watching the nurse place their newborn on Xenia's chest. He still can't quite believe the song […]Merriam-Webster
- FKA Twigs and Sheila E. are doing a Prince tribute at the Grammys January 25, 2020A few weeks back, we reported that the Grammys were organizing a tribute concert to Prince, to be recorded two days after the award show’s annual ceremony this Sunday, and broadcast some time in April. Although there were some big names on that line-up—including Beck, Common, St. Vincent, and more—the most exciting…Read more...William Hughes on News, shared by William Hughes to The A.V. Club
- Howard The Duck and Tigra And Dazzler are both dead at Hulu January 25, 2020While its film projects are currently comfortably resting on their multi-billion-dollar laurels—and prepping for a whole new push when Black Widow arrives in theaters this May—Marvel’s TV fortunes have never been quite so smooth. With the various Marvel Netflix shows now consigned to the dust of too-many-ninjas…Read more...William Hughes on News, shared by William Hughes to The A.V. Club
- Why yes, the new Space Force logo does look a lot like the one from Star Trek January 25, 2020Donald Trump’s long proposed plan for a military-based “Space Force” moved from dumb idea to dumb visual design this week, as Trump tweeted out a new logo for the nascent organization of astronauts-but-hey-they’ve-got-guns. And lo, but the internet looked at this thing for about five seconds, squinted its eyes, and…Read more...William Hughes on News, shared by William Hughes to The A.V. Club
- Tiny baby has no business doing a “Thunderstruck” cover this good January 25, 2020Kids are making it in the big bad entertainment world at younger and younger ages. That kid from Jojo Rabbit is 12, and he was just nominated for a Golden Globe. Billie Eilish recorded her first song at 13. Well, move over, Grandma and Grandpa, because Baby Ryan is here and he’s got exactly baby […]Allison Shoemaker on News, shared by Allison Shoemaker to The A.V. Club
- The US Space Force now has a logo January 24, 2020President Donald Trump tweeted out the logo for the brand-new U.S. Space Force on Friday, presenting it as a collaboration between "Great Military Leaders, designers and others."Thing is, fans of Star Trek will find that the logo looks strikingly familiar. In fact, it looks almost exactly like the emblem of Starfleet, the uniformed space force […]David Roza
- Navy reportedly investigating secret PornHub videos taken of sailors in a bathroom January 24, 2020The Navy is investigating dozens of videos of service members changing in a bathroom which were then shared on the website PornHub, according to a NBC News report. According to the report, an agent from the Naval Criminal Investigative Service found the videos on PornHub earlier this month. The videos, which have since been taken […]David Roza
- Carne Asada Nachos January 22, 2020BEST NACHOS EVER! Loaded with the easiest, most tender carne asada, sharp cheddar, pico de gallo, avocado, jalapeno + drizzle of queso! Guys. Prepare to have your MIND BLOWN to the best nachos of 2020. CARNE ASADA NACHOS WITH A DRIZZLE OF QUESO. Yes and yes, inspired by these Mexican street tacos using the quickest […]Chungah @ Damn Delicious
- Skillet Mushroom Chicken Thighs January 19, 2020Golden brown, super juicy, tender chicken thigh recipe, smothered in a garlicky, mushroom butter sauce. 30 min. So quick, so so good! Chicken thighs. Cremini mushrooms. Tons of garlic. All the butter. And fresh thyme. The five key ingredients to a dinner I had every day this entire week. No, wait, I had pizza on Friday […]Chungah @ Damn Delicious
- Poached Chicken – Juicy Guarantee! January 24, 2020This is the foolproof way to make the JUICIEST Poached Chicken you will ever make. Guaranteed results, dead easy, cooks itself, this is a cracker of a chicken breast recipe that everyone should know! Use the chicken for any recipe that calls for cooked chicken – sandwiches, salads, pastas, pies, wraps and burritos. Slice it,... […]Nagi
- Thai Lettuce Wraps (Larb Gai) January 21, 2020Thai Lettuce Wraps is one of those meals that will make you forget you’re eating healthy! A traditional Thai dish called Larb Gai, they’re quick to make and full of fresh flavours from herbs and lime, plus a nice hit of chilli. Use chicken mince or pork mince, bundle it up in lettuce or serve it... […]Nagi