“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”
Leonardo da Vinci
“There can be a deep loneliness that comes from not having a family that has your back. I hope you can find supportive people who show up for you.”
“A little space, time, and distance can often be just what a relationship needs to bloom at its best.”
“Pain is what the world does to you; suffering is what you do yourself.”
“A season of loneliness and isolation is when the caterpillar gets its wings.”
“I was once afraid of people saying, ‘Who does she think she is?’ Now I have the courage to stand and say, ‘This is who I am.’”
“The most confused we ever get is when we try to convince our heads of something that we know in our hearts is a lie.”
“How wonderful that we have met with a paradox. Now we have some hope of making progress.”
“I don’t believe people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive.”
“Growth is uncomfortable because you’ve never been here before. You’ve never seen this version of you. So give yourself a little grace and breathe through it.”
“New beginnings are often disguised as painful endings.”
“Allow yourself to grow and change. Your future self is waiting.”
“Recovery is a process. It takes time. It takes patience. It takes everything you’ve got.”
10 Reminders to Tell Yourself Daily
1. You don’t have to feel guilty about feeling sad, bad, anxious, angry, or any other “negative” feeling. You’re not a “negative person.” You’re human.
2. You have a right to feel how you feel even if other people have it worse. Your pain is valid, regardless of what anyone else is going through.
3. You’re doing the best you can based on your life experiences, traumas, conditioning, beliefs, current challenges, and coping skills. As you learn new skills, you’ll cope better, but you may still struggle to apply what you’ve learned, and that’s okay. No one copes perfectly in an imperfect situation.
4. You don’t have to push yourself to be productive. It’s okay to rest or do the bare minimum when you’re struggling. This isn’t being lazy; it’s being kind to yourself—and you deserve it.
5. You’re not “falling behind.” It’s possible that you’re exactly where you need to be to learn, grow, and heal, meaning someday you might look back and consider this chapter a crucial part of your life journey.
6. You don’t have to please or impress anyone else, including yourself. Sometimes it’s enough just to live and make it through the day.
7. You don’t need to have anything figured out right now. You just need to take it one day at a time, trusting that you’ll find answers and solutions if you keep moving forward.
8. You are not alone, and you don’t have to pretend or hide. There are people who care and want to help—and because they’ve struggled too, they understand and would never judge you.
9. You won’t feel this way forever. Just as you’ve survived dark times before, you’ll eventually get past this and maybe even feel proud of yourself for how you made it through.
10. Nothing is guaranteed in the future, but you have the strength to handle whatever might be coming, and the capacity to make the best of it.
I hope these reminders bring you peace, comfort, and relief! You can access the printable version of this list and the companion worksheet here.